Advice on school programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davesun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently been admitted to Florida, Tufts, and Minnesota. I am interested in pursuing wildlife and conservation medicine. Tufts has well established facilities and programs to give me the experience I need as does Minnesota. Florida, while it has some unique opportunities of its own, is somewhat limited compared to the other two. I am wondering if anyone knows more about Florida's opportunities as I am receiving heavy pressure from family to go to this school.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been fortunate enough to be admitted to Tufts, Minnesota, and Florida

I am interested in pursuing wildlife and conservation medicine and though I have done alot of research on each of these schools programs I would greatly appreciate any help.

Economics aside for now, I am trying to decide which schools program would be best for my career aspirations.

TUFTS- has well structured wildlife and conservations programs, wildlife hospital, several courses and rotations in the field, and many faculty in this field. No Track

MINNESOTA- has one of the nations most recognized raptor rehab center (I work mainly with birds of prey thus far) but its not technically affiliated with the school. It has several rotations and courses as well but you do need to select a track from multiple options (lg, sm, mix, interdisciplinary)

FLORIDA- most limited from what I can tell with 2week rotation and wildlife club. 3 track options (lg, sm, mix). Im not sure if there is more opportunity here, I have been searching for a while and if anyone knows more PLEASE let me know.

I am experiencing heavy pressure to attend UF (florida resident and family in law). I feel most passionate about Tufts, and really fell in love with their school and program. When economics do enter, Minnesota is best option.

I am really just trying to make a well informed decision based mostly on future career and experience. Thank you all for your time and help.

Go to UF based on the tuition savings alone. Truth be told the other programs, while they may be outstanding probably aren't going to offer anything for you that you can't do or become involved in during university breaks.

Florida has a fair amount of research, wildlife centres, zoos, etc that I'm sure you could easily become involved in. If you wanted to travel outside of FL and head up to Tufts or wherever I'm sure that could easily be arranged.

Furthermore you are that much closer to the largest vet conference that is held every year with a large amount of continuing ed including wildlife/conservation topics.

The veterinary profession is a astoundingly small community and you'd be surprised who you come across that knows people you have either worked with, or want to work with -- I'm on the other side of the world and have run into people who know my old bosses in Gainesville, and it's gotten me jobs.

Sorry I know it's not what you want to hear :p but $$$ should probably be the number one deciding factor in your case.

Heck if you wanted to when you're done you can do a graduate program in conservation medicine somewhere if you really need to boost credentials and go overseas with the amount of money you've saved.

Members don't see this ad :)
Threads merged to keep all info in same place. :)

FYI, cross-posting (same post in two different forums) is against the SDN Terms of Service. This keeps all replies/discussion in the same place.

P.S. Best of luck in your decision!

sorry about the double post, I just wanted to get pre vet and vet student advice alike

I went to UF for a MS in the vet school and there are not only zoo/wildlife opportunities but htey also have a huge aquatic animals program. That's the program I got my MS in. It is not only fish and marine mammals, but it is sea turtles as well. There is a great wildlife vet there Dr.Isaza (he does alot of elephant research and cares for the retired circus elephants). UF has alot of connections to the zoos and aquariums throughout FL. They also have a pathologist that works at Disney's animal kingdom. One of the heads of the aquatic program used to be the head vet for Sea World. They have a good crew down there, you do have to get yourself involved to make the most of it. But don't rule FL out.

Don't know about the schools. But I do have a friend who goes to UF now. She has always wanted to do wildlife, and she actually got her parents to move down there while she was an undergrad at Maryland so she could apply to UF instate tuition for vet school. AWESOME! lol So, it can't be THAT limited if she planned all of this out and is doin wildlife. Since UF is the cheapest (according to Nexx) id go with that. I can put you in touch with my friend if you want. She's super nice, PM if you want her info

At UF you might have the opportunity to work with Animal Kingdom and SeaWorld!! I wouldn't need any other convincing. :laugh:

Whatever advantage one school might offer, you have to consider if it's really worth $100,000. Unless you're really wealthy, the answer is probably no. Wherever you go, you will get the education you need.

FL has some great exotics/wildlife oppurtunities. Don't be fooled by the SA/LA/MA thing.... We have zoo med here and FL is one of the schools that we have done some work with in the zoo/aquatics arena. Given those options and the info, I wouldn't hesitate to attend FL (my focus is zoo med.)

While Minnesota has some awesome programs (the raptor center is right across the street!) and works closely with our state Department of Natural Resources on several projects, I have to agree with the others.

Unless finances are not an all an issue you for you, Florida should provide just as many opportunities at a far better IS rate.

just a thought; call FL up and ask to be put in contact with individuals from each class who are interested in wildlife/conservation medicine. These folks will be able to talk to you about the oppurtunities they see as students.

We (NCSU) don't have a wildlife hospital, but we have electives in reptiles, zoo med & wild avian. We also have associations with a large raptor center, several coastal research centers, a carnivore trust, a zoo, and some other stuff. A lot of our exotics collection is housed under lab animal med. I have found that admin (and even professors not in the field) may not be as aware of the oppurtunities available. Also, faculty-wise, many of ours are spread across other departments; toxicology, population med, one health, public health, etc...because conservation medicine tends to be very multi-level and synergistic.

So talking to student who are where you want to be a few years from now may give you a better perspective of what is available.

UF is a great school. i think it would be a good idea for you to attend your IS, and plan to complete an internship/residency at another location specializing in your area of interest. just something to consider if you aren't exactly thrilled with UF's exotics program.

Hey everyone, thank you very much for the advice. Sumstorm, I think you have a very good idea about contacting the school and talking to students. Thanks for all the help.