Advice on Summer, EC's etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sg90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! Closing the thread now :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What other potential plans do you have for your gap year? If research has any chance of interfering with MCAT studying or your grades, it's not necessary, especially for DO schools. You're better of continuing the upward trend and crushing the MCAT, in my opinion.

What other potential plans do you have for your gap year? If research has any chance of interfering with MCAT studying or your grades, it's not necessary, especially for DO schools. You're better of continuing the upward trend and crushing the MCAT, in my opinion.

Hi there, thanks for replying! To be honest, I haven't given gap year plans much thought. Ideally I'd like to hold some sort of paid job though..
That's nice to hear because I'm not completely sold on research either. My academic counselor did suggest it because I attend a large research university and it would look odd not to participate but again, not really sold on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there, thanks for replying! To be honest, I haven't given gap year plans much thought. Ideally I'd like to hold some sort of paid job though..
That's nice to hear because I'm not completely sold on research either. My academic counselor did suggest it because I attend a large research university and it would look odd not to participate but again, not really sold on it.
For DO school, I would say it's less about a need to do research and more about engaging in something medically related that you're incredibly passionate about.

I did a year of immunology research during undergrad, but honestly, it was so boring for me. I'm sure the lack of interest came through when it wasn't highlighted much in my application. But I ended up working in research for a few years out of undergrad - running studies that I absolutely loved. I did a lot of studies for the safety, efficacy and development of various areas of medicine including surgical devices, pharmacokinetics and ocular diseases. I induced rats with diabetes using STZ, maintained them at a sustainable hyperglycemic state for months and did ocular imaging to check for diabetic retinopathy. We then treated them with drugs under development. I've scrubbed in with (human) CT surgeons who were developing prosthetic heart valves for which they needed to run pre-clinical trials on porcine first. I tested large blood vessel cauterizing devices meant for organ removal procedures - I performed nephrectomies and splenectomies in sheep. The list goes on.

As I'm sure you can tell, I loved my job so much more than the research I did in undergrad. It's not about doing it just to have it on your application. It's about getting involved with something that gets you excited and drives you further toward medicine. THAT'S what stands out to adcoms. THAT'S what they want to read and hear about.

For DO school, I would say it's less about a need to do research and more about engaging in something medically related that you're incredibly passionate about.

I did a year of immunology research during undergrad, but honestly, it was so boring for me. I'm sure the lack of interest came through when it wasn't highlighted much in my application. But I ended up working in research for a few years out of undergrad - running studies that I absolutely loved. I did a lot of studies for the safety, efficacy and development of various areas of medicine including surgical devices, pharmacokinetics and ocular diseases. I induced rats with diabetes using STZ, maintained them at a sustainable hyperglycemic state for months and did ocular imaging to check for diabetic retinopathy. We then treated them with drugs under development. I've scrubbed in with (human) CT surgeons who were developing prosthetic heart valves for which they needed to run pre-clinical trials on porcine first. I tested large blood vessel cauterizing devices meant for organ removal procedures - I performed nephrectomies and splenectomies in sheep. The list goes on.

As I'm sure you can tell, I loved my job so much more than the research I did in undergrad. It's not about doing it just to have it on your application. It's about getting involved with something that gets you excited and drives you further toward medicine. THAT'S what stands out to adcoms. THAT'S what they want to read and hear about.

Thanks for sharing your experiences! Your job sounded super exciting! Was this research at a hospital or some other setting, if you don't mind me asking?
I talked to my potential PI today (after that last post) and he was very supportive and seemed to place a lot of emphasis on what the student can get out of their research experience, which in turn makes me pretty excited. I'm not adverse to trying stuff out and sometimes you never know when you'll end up liking something. What stood out to me was his nurturing attitude, which makes me want to give research a try. Sorry I sound so flippant, I just want to make sure that if I start research, I'll do it with a good attitude.

I'm actually not sure if research will get in the way of MCAT studying in the summer. I don't think it would as long as I'm diligent.

Another option is to return to my non-clinical volunteering job (i really loved it and being around the students is so inspiring that I want to return. It's probably easier on the schedule compared to research if I am studying at the same time.)

In the meantime, if there are any big glaring holes in my application, I'd like to work on those.

Thanks for sharing your experiences! Your job sounded super exciting! Was this research at a hospital or some other setting, if you don't mind me asking?
I talked to my potential PI today (after that last post) and he was very supportive and seemed to place a lot of emphasis on what the student can get out of their research experience, which in turn makes me pretty excited. I'm not adverse to trying stuff out and sometimes you never know when you'll end up liking something. What stood out to me was his nurturing attitude, which makes me want to give research a try. Sorry I sound so flippant, I just want to make sure that if I start research, I'll do it with a good attitude.

I'm actually not sure if research will get in the way of MCAT studying in the summer. I don't think it would as long as I'm diligent.

Another option is to return to my non-clinical volunteering job (i really loved it and being around the students is so inspiring that I want to return. It's probably easier on the schedule compared to research if I am studying at the same time.)

In the meantime, if there are any big glaring holes in my application, I'd like to work on those.
It was for a private company in biomedical/pharmaceutical research.

You're absolutely right that you never know what you'll end up liking, especially when you're younger and have more open doors. And honestly, if that PI can become a close mentor for the next year and half, that is priceless. One of the things that helped me thrive was having a supervisor who really invested in me and cared about my growth.

I would encourage you to stick with clinical/medical/science related EC first and then if it seems like you can handle the studying/workload, throw on a few hours of non-clinical volunteering here and there. Best to you. Feel free to PM me if you have further questions.