Advice on Taking a Year "Off"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marquito

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a relatively new poster on here. I need advice on whether or not taking a year off is a good idea. I'm going to be a junior this coming year (I'm between my 2nd and 3rd years in the UC system), and I'm also going to take my DAT this summer before school starts. My original plan was (assuming I get around a 21 on my DAT) to apply at the end of my junior year and go straight into dental school after I graduate. Here's the problem, I have around a 3.7 GPA (will have around a 3.8 if I were to apply next cycle), but if I were to apply on June 1st of next year, I would have only completed 2 upper div bio courses. Is that enough? I would potentially take a 3rd upper div bio course in the spring quarter of next year, but my understanding is that if I apply on June 1st, my grades for that spring quarter (which ends on June 10th and I believe the grades can't be finalized and sent until around the 21st or 28th) won't be factored into my application. I'm not worried about the GPA part or anything, but I'm worried about not having enough upper div bio courses that show the dental schools that I'm able to handle a tough course load.

I guess the 3 options I'm entertaining are 1) apply June 1st with 2 upper div bios only (I will have a 3.8 and am fairly confident I can score around a 21 on my DAT), 2) Apply "late" on June 21st or 28th with around 3 upper div bios, or 3) Take a year "off" so I would have all of my upper div bios on my app plus labs.

Sorry for the long post, but here are the other things I was considering. Some of my friends who have gotten into dental school said I should take 2 upper div bios my fall quarter of next year and apply June 1st (I would have 3 upper div bios on my app). I will be starting dental/oral cancer research in the fall and although I've done research this past year, I'm not sure how much of a time commitment it will take up (it isn't based on a set number of hours, but instead we have a certain amount of time to get projects done and everything is based off of patient availability). Because of that uncertainty, I'm just not sure if I would have time to take 2 upper div bios, physics, an upper div bio writing course, 5 units of research, and 2 units of peer tutoring.

At the same time, I also would like to kind of take a year "off" after I graduate. I wouldn't be lounging around and sitting on my butt all day, but I would probably continue interning for the same dentist, potentially work as Kaplan instructor (don't bag on me haha) or continue to tutor privately or through the university, and I also would like to volunteer/intern at a dental lab so that I can increase my dexterity (my dad, who's a dentist, said that his friends who worked in dental labs had an advantage on the lab practicals in dental school). I also have reflected on my 2 years so far in college and I have honestly studied my butt off year round, so after 4 years of that, it would be nice to have a more relaxed, final year before dental school and everything else begins.

So, all of this being said, which do you guys think is the best choice? Am I just being lazy for trying to take a year off? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I was in the same boat you are in. I only had 3 upper level bios, and I decided to wait to apply so I could have anatomy, biochemistry, and physiology on my transcript. Taking a year off is the right choice for me, but it is obviously different for everyone. I was a little burnt out after taking useless classes and cramming every extra cirricular you could possibly imagine into my life. After reading posts on how hard dental school is, I feel that my decision is validated. I am looking forward to a relaxing year, and then get back on the grind for a hard 4 years. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the quick replies. No I don't go to UCLA, I got to UCI. I think that taking 1 year off would be nice since there will basically be little to no leisure time during dental school and for many years after that. At the same time, it's hard for me to figure out if I'm just being lazy haha. Thanks for all the input.

Oh, and I forgot to add that I am a CA resident applying to all the CA schools. I had heard that waiting until the end of June may hurt my chances for UCSF and UoP, but UCLA apparently lags in the interview process and I should be fine (not sure how much of this is true, but it came from a few friends who are now going into dental school). My top choice is UCLA or UCSF.

hmmmm I guess I'm confused as to why you're so worried about having upper division bios? I've applied for this cycle and I have only taken one upper division bio (and it was abroad and a total joke). I'm a chem major so taken upper division bios is not only not necessary but there's no time. As long as you have the basic pre-requisites, you should be ok. And your GPA is great.

Hello,

I am a relatively new poster on here. I need advice on whether or not taking a year off is a good idea. I'm going to be a junior this coming year (I'm between my 2nd and 3rd years in the UC system), and I'm also going to take my DAT this summer before school starts. My original plan was (assuming I get around a 21 on my DAT) to apply at the end of my junior year and go straight into dental school after I graduate. Here's the problem, I have around a 3.7 GPA (will have around a 3.8 if I were to apply next cycle), but if I were to apply on June 1st of next year, I would have only completed 2 upper div bio courses. Is that enough? I would potentially take a 3rd upper div bio course in the spring quarter of next year, but my understanding is that if I apply on June 1st, my grades for that spring quarter (which ends on June 10th and I believe the grades can't be finalized and sent until around the 21st or 28th) won't be factored into my application. I'm not worried about the GPA part or anything, but I'm worried about not having enough upper div bio courses that show the dental schools that I'm able to handle a tough course load.

I guess the 3 options I'm entertaining are 1) apply June 1st with 2 upper div bios only (I will have a 3.8 and am fairly confident I can score around a 21 on my DAT), 2) Apply "late" on June 21st or 28th with around 3 upper div bios, or 3) Take a year "off" so I would have all of my upper div bios on my app plus labs.

Sorry for the long post, but here are the other things I was considering. Some of my friends who have gotten into dental school said I should take 2 upper div bios my fall quarter of next year and apply June 1st (I would have 3 upper div bios on my app). I will be starting dental/oral cancer research in the fall and although I've done research this past year, I'm not sure how much of a time commitment it will take up (it isn't based on a set number of hours, but instead we have a certain amount of time to get projects done and everything is based off of patient availability). Because of that uncertainty, I'm just not sure if I would have time to take 2 upper div bios, physics, an upper div bio writing course, 5 units of research, and 2 units of peer tutoring.

At the same time, I also would like to kind of take a year "off" after I graduate. I wouldn't be lounging around and sitting on my butt all day, but I would probably continue interning for the same dentist, potentially work as Kaplan instructor (don't bag on me haha) or continue to tutor privately or through the university, and I also would like to volunteer/intern at a dental lab so that I can increase my dexterity (my dad, who's a dentist, said that his friends who worked in dental labs had an advantage on the lab practicals in dental school). I also have reflected on my 2 years so far in college and I have honestly studied my butt off year round, so after 4 years of that, it would be nice to have a more relaxed, final year before dental school and everything else begins.

So, all of this being said, which do you guys think is the best choice? Am I just being lazy for trying to take a year off? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Option 2 is probably your best bet I would say
although applying by the end of june is not "LATE" -- thats what, 2nd batch? :scared::scared: relax. as long as its not september/october when you're hitting the submit button...THATS considered late!

You sound more than qualified to apply with what you mentioned. You don't need a large stack of upper division biology courses to be accepted. It's most important than you do brilliantly on your pre-req sciences and your DAT.

I don't think you're being lazy at all for wanting to take a year off, I think it's a fabulous plan. However, I'm hesitant in suggesting doing it in the middle of your under-grad education. Personally I think you should just plow through it and graduate (including having your DAT done, and it seems you'll have shadowing and research as well, bravo). Then go take that time off, that way you'll have everything done, ready to apply, and get a nice stress relieving before the next marathon of school.

As everyone has said, upper division Bio's are not necessary, though I'm sure they are helpful. If you look at a lot of dental school curriculums, you'll see Microbiology, Biochemistry, Immunology, etc. So, if you have some knowledge on these things before hand, I'm sure it makes it slightly easier.

I know some people who are doing exactly what you suggest, which is apply at the end of their Senior year, and have a year between undergrad and dental school. Is it the best thing to do? Eh, I'd just weight the pros and cons. For me, I just don't think I could take a year off, get accustomed to not dealing with the annoyances of classes and whatnot and then go back with a good enough attitude to deal with it in a much harder setting. I think for me, it would be better to just continue without a break to make sure I keep on track. That being said, I'm already pretty burnt out of undergraduate work, and I could definitely see the value of a year off.

i have been out of college for 2 years. i am starting dental school in a couple of weeks and honestly i would not have done it any differently. it was not really my choice i got denied but hey it was a great 2 years. your only young once and have your whole life to worry about working. a year off is no biggie its pretty common. just don't get TOO relaxed because the application cycles come up real fastand its right when summer starts which is the worst time lol

Thanks for all the input guys. I guess I'm still up in the air. I think if I do decide to go straight in, then I will apply on June 1st. Other wise, I will still just finish everything (LORs, personal statement, things like that) during my junior year so that I wouldn't have much left to do senior year. Anyway, any more input is greatly appreciated. Thanks again everyone.

i took a year off and during my fall quarter of last year when i was applying i was taking my last upper div bio class. i remember for most schools they didnt even care about where i was standing in terms of fullfilling my degree. also taking this year off was such a good idea... i got to travel and be free of responsibilities (now that i think of it may be those lab course would have been a good choice haha)

For those of you who took a year off, did the admissions/interviewers asked you what you did during that time?

i think something that people on this website assume is that when you take a year off it's because you're not good enough and need to improve your app.

pretty much everybody i've talked to has told me to take some time. what a lot of people dont realize is once you graduate dental school...you'll have to start a practice or join a practice...that means you're not having a lot of time to yourself. add on a wife, maybe some kids and it just gets harder and harder to take time for yourself.

while taking time off from school isnt for everybody, it also isnt reserved for only those who are using it to improve their GPA

yeah i know what you mean. i think i will take the time to not only relax, but i also want to work or volunteer at a dental lab and try to get experience with dental school-type activities and improve my dexterity. Have any of you guys worked at a dental lab?

i think something that people on this website assume is that when you take a year off it's because you're not good enough and need to improve your app.

pretty much everybody i've talked to has told me to take some time. what a lot of people dont realize is once you graduate dental school...you'll have to start a practice or join a practice...that means you're not having a lot of time to yourself. add on a wife, maybe some kids and it just gets harder and harder to take time for yourself.

while taking time off from school isnt for everybody, it also isnt reserved for only those who are using it to improve their GPA

Of course, the flip side is that you will also start making some money a year quicker. I know for me, that is a huge incentive. I've already piled up some debt from undergrad, and I'd love to be able to see some benefit sooner rather than later. I know at the end of the line, one year isn't much, but for the immediate future, it is a pretty significant time. Just something else to consider. There is obviously no right or wrong answer here.

Im just finishing up my year off and let me tell ya it was great. I was able to find the girl of my dreams, get gaming out of my system, and just the things I wasn't able to do while I was in school without a care in the world. My brain is so starving for information right now that every time I would tutor my sister in her freshman bio and physics courses I would get excited I still remember and am ready to get more when I get into school. So if you decide to take a year don't look at it as a bad thing It is really a well deserved break.

Also don't worry about upper divs so long as you did excellent in your pre reqs those are equally as important. I also went to UCI so since I only did decent in my prereqs I had to bank on Acing all my upper divs and getting a high DAT which I did luckily. But you should be able to apply as long as you get a good DAT score which should be cake since O chem and G chem are fresh off your mind. I made the mistake of not taking it till before I was about to apply the end of my senior year and had to relearn EVERYTHING. So you are in a better tract than me and I got in to school so you should be good to go. Good Luck!

alright, thanks for the advice. i'm definitely leaning towards taking a year off. and yes, i think it's most for a well-deserved break, especially since this may be the last "break" for a long time haha.

Did you consider applying this upcoming cycle and deferring matriculation if accepted? That would take the pressure off of you during your year off.

If you are not accepted, you will have the experience of having gone through the application process. You will then be able to submit a stronger application the next cycle from what you learned the first time.

Can you explain what deferring my acceptance means exactly? Thanks

Deferring means if you apply in 2012 cycle and are accepted, that you request to join the entering class of 2014 instead of 2013. You would need to have a good reason to do so, but that would be a good problem to have.