Advice on timing...I'm a research engineer wanting a timeline plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjmusicman29

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've been working in industry for a couple of years and need timeline advice on when to take my MCAT and how to apply to the cycles.

I've posted here a couple of years back. I mentioned how I got a stimulating job as a research engineer at a Fortune 50 company. I've been doing it for a couple of years and I love/hate it, but I just don't feel like I have fulfilled my dreams. I've been wanting to be a doctor since I was a child. Every 1-2 years, I come on this forum, consider planning the route, and then get overwhelmed/distracted and try something else out.

Well now it's been long enough that I really want to get serious about taking the MCAT. I'm interested in applying for med school for admittance Fall 2018 or Fall 2019.

What kind of timeline should I adopt? Any particular considerations as a non-trad besides just looking up the app deadlines online and using some SN2ed-revised schedule? I just used Study Schedule, but is this actually a good way to plan a study routine for 9-12 months out?

I am only missing 1-2 courses. I was a good chemical engineering student (3.51 cGPA, 3.43 sGPA) with two research publications, committed involvement in extra-curriculars, an internship, and other stuff. I also think I'm a URM because my family is Colombian and I was born there, still speak the language even though I look white.

What kind of other stuff do I need to do to ready my application besides MCAT and my missing courses (upper level bio + Bio 2. I already have biochem)? I've only shadowed once. Do I need to do EMT at this stage or something like that?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are your gpas from the amcas calculation, or your school transcript? You should use the amcas scoring method (including all courses, including retakes, etc and the weighting they will use which isn't necessarily the same as your college).

Also, is Colombian URM? (I'm not totally sure, it'd be worth verifying).

You would benefit from/need:

Current volunteering (something relevant to you and your interests, ideally for those in need). That is to say, tutoring for the underserved is far and away more beneficial to your application then tutoring for those at a private school. Think meals on wheels, tutoring, big brother/big sister, etc.

Clinical experience - I'd volunteer over emt. Easier to manage without sinking a ton of time/money into it. Hospital, hospice, nursing home, etc.

Shadowing - 40ish hours is enough based on my discussions. Try a few disciples. This is easier if you're volunteering at a hospital (have emails, already signed privacy documents, i.e. less work for the physicians to deal with).

MCAT - you can take it before or after your coursework, depends on your level of independence for learning the material. This will make or break your list, which is why I'd focus on the most practical way to get what you need in the other areas of your application (for times sake). You want it done early enough so that you can make a good list of schools... applying without a score in hand is dangerous, but can be done.

Applying:
Once you actually get everything together you'll have to do your primary app (which takes a bit of time between your personal statement, activities, etc), and you also have to consider how you will manage during the application season. Ideally you'd have activities that you can continue through the cycle, but you will also have to spend a decent amount of time writing secondaries. These can be looked up in advance (most schools don't change them year to year), but can take a bit of time when you have 20ish schools.

Basically, fall of 2018 would be... a challenge. Unless you're already doing volunteering/studying for the mcat, you'll be behind. For fall of 2019, you have time, and the sooner you start the better. The longer duration that you have shadowing/volunteering, the better. Starting before your mcat also helps offset the "cart before the horse" appearance of ECs. Test the waters, then do the exam.

Reactions: 1 user
Are your gpas from the amcas calculation, or your school transcript? You should use the amcas scoring method (including all courses, including retakes, etc and the weighting they will use which isn't necessarily the same as your college).

Also, is Colombian URM? (I'm not totally sure, it'd be worth verifying).

You would benefit from/need:

Current volunteering (something relevant to you and your interests, ideally for those in need). That is to say, tutoring for the underserved is far and away more beneficial to your application then tutoring for those at a private school. Think meals on wheels, tutoring, big brother/big sister, etc.

Clinical experience - I'd volunteer over emt. Easier to manage without sinking a ton of time/money into it. Hospital, hospice, nursing home, etc.

Shadowing - 40ish hours is enough based on my discussions. Try a few disciples. This is easier if you're volunteering at a hospital (have emails, already signed privacy documents, i.e. less work for the physicians to deal with).

MCAT - you can take it before or after your coursework, depends on your level of independence for learning the material. This will make or break your list, which is why I'd focus on the most practical way to get what you need in the other areas of your application (for times sake). You want it done early enough so that you can make a good list of schools... applying without a score in hand is dangerous, but can be done.

Applying:
Once you actually get everything together you'll have to do your primary app (which takes a bit of time between your personal statement, activities, etc), and you also have to consider how you will manage during the application season. Ideally you'd have activities that you can continue through the cycle, but you will also have to spend a decent amount of time writing secondaries. These can be looked up in advance (most schools don't change them year to year), but can take a bit of time when you have 20ish schools.

Basically, fall of 2018 would be... a challenge. Unless you're already doing volunteering/studying for the mcat, you'll be behind. For fall of 2019, you have time, and the sooner you start the better. The longer duration that you have shadowing/volunteering, the better. Starting before your mcat also helps offset the "cart before the horse" appearance of ECs. Test the waters, then do the exam.

Yes, I used an AMCAS GPA calculator.

I don't know how to verify it, but I assumed Colombian was URM because it's Hispanic or Latino, which I literally am, but not sure.

I actually have tutored quite a bit in college, so I didn't think of that. I'll try to find more ways to volunteer! That would be neat. Is it worth mentioning that I'm a caretaker for my grandmother with Alzheimer's? My mother is also disabled, so I spend most of my non-working time caring for them. I wonder if that has a place in my application.

I also happen to be bisexual (in a gay relationship) and part of my aspiration for being a doctor is being a safe physician for LGBT-people. Does this also have a place in my application? Not sure if this is controversial or not.

How much clinical volunteering should someone aim for, if that matters? Based on frequency (once a week versus full-time) and amount of time (3 months, or 3 years?).

I noticed the apps have a date where they open up. Is it like, they open, and it's a race to finish your essay and application materials and get them submitted asap?

I'm okay with waiting until Fall 2019. I want 9 months to study for MCAT and I want to do everything neatly and as prepared as possible because I'm fighting with a below average med app GPA (thanks, chemical engineering).

Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
You should verify the URM status with some schools because your GPA is great if URM and not so good if non URM. Nine months to study for the MCAT probably won't help much since the common consensus seems to be that at > 4 months you start losing info; it's best to do full time study for 4 months vs part time study for 8 or 9 (at least on the advice of Jack Westin from his course I took over the break).

Agreed with above: 3-4 months studying is basically going to max out the normal person. I worked 24-30 hours per week, took a class, and volunteered while studying (took a 2 month Princeton review online course and then spent 1 month patching gaps/honing test strategy). Your GPA is the same as mine was and it's an anchor for upper level schools, but allows a lot of mid-tier if you have a strong mcat. >90% will put you in a good place (if you round out your activities), >80% will put you overall a bit below average for successful MD applicants, but in range. If you can shadow a DO, it would be helpful to have a letter if you want to apply DO. If you're geographically limited, there's only more pressure to maximize your profile... I'd keep as open a mind as possible.

I'd say volunteering once per week (per activity) for volunteering is normal. 3-4 hours per time. Over 50 hours per activity at time of application is wise, over 100 is better, but if you do 2 hr/week for longer it probably looks better than 4 months of 6hr, etc. You can and should also include your projected hours (if you will continue them -- which you should). Projected hours are viewed with some skepticism but failing to include them will give the impression you just volunteered for your application and then quit.

Timing wise, the application opens in may (I think), and you can fill it out anytime through some of June before amcas will even allow you to submit. Once you submit, it will take between a day (if you submit asap), or a month (if you submit in July, august, September) for them to verify your GPA etc. The real dates for everything are on the amcas website, but I'm on my phone. After you're verified they submit it to schools, and then you'll start getting secondaries. Some arrive quickly, some take a month before you'll get anything. You'll aim to submit them 2-3 weeks after getting them (at most).

South Americans are not generally considered UiM.
Language skills are still very valuable, though.

How can I verify this?

I'm mostly interested in Texas schools (I'm a Texas resident and went to Texas A&M. My dream schools are Baylor, UTSW, and Dell), and their websites mention stuff about valuing diversity and they let you identify as Hispanic/Latino, but I don't see where you would claim URM, prove you're URM, or even verify with the school whether you're URM.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Even if I'm not officially URM, I feel like I have a story worth sharing in my personal app that hopefully will make me memorable despite my "low" 3.51.

I at least see this on the AAMC (Medical Minority Applicant Registry (Med-MAR)):

"The Medical Minority Applicant Registry (Med-MAR) enhances admission opportunities for students from groups historically underrepresented in medicine. Medical school applicants who self-identify as being from groups historically underrepresented in medicine or who are economically disadvantaged can elect to participate in Med-MAR.

If you choose to participate in Med-MAR, your basic biographical information and your MCAT scores will be distributed to the minority affairs and admission offices of AAMC-member schools and to select health-related agencies whose mission is to increase opportunities for students historically underrepresented in medicine.

Who Is Eligible to Participate?
You are eligible if (a) you are a U.S. citizen, U.S. National, a lawful permanent resident (LPR) of the United States (“Green Card” holder), or have been granted refugee/asylum or Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status by the U.S. government, and (b) you are economically disadvantaged or of low socio-economic status (SES), or you self-identify as a member of a racial or ethnic group historically underrepresented in medicine--African-American/Black, Hispanic/Latino, American Indian/Alaska Native or Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander."

How can I verify this?

I'm mostly interested in Texas schools (I'm a Texas resident and went to Texas A&M. My dream schools are Baylor, UTSW, and Dell), and their websites mention stuff about valuing diversity and they let you identify as Hispanic/Latino, but I don't see where you would claim URM, prove you're URM, or even verify with the school whether you're URM.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Even if I'm not officially URM, I feel like I have a story worth sharing in my personal app that hopefully will make me memorable despite my "low" 3.51.
Each school makes an independent decision on what constitutes an under-represented community in their catchment area.
Diversity is a different (but often overlapping) goal.
If your community is known to be under-served in TX you have a good case for being a member of an under-represented group.