Advice on various concerns, please and thanks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ebbo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For a bit of background:
As an undergrad I took two semesters each of General Chemistry and Biology, got a scattering of A's and B's, and while taking the first semester of Bio I also took Orgo I and got a C. After that I continued with Bio II but otherwise dropped the entire pre-med track, graduating with a 3.07 science GPA and 3.44 overall GPA.
After 3.5 years in the Army, I'm back for revenge and currently taking Orgo I and Physics I to ease back into academics, doing well (I think). I'm arranging my fall semester schedule and suddenly having a lot of concerns:

1) GPA: neither science nor overall GPA are great, so I am working to make 12+ credits sciences per semester for the next two semesters, like so:

Upcoming fall: Orgo II, Physics II, ? (<-- any advice on what to take here?)
Next spring: Biochem I, genetics, cell bio

This is where I'd ideally end my pre-reqs due to financial constraints, but I worry that these won't boost my science GPA enough to make me competitive. From reading various threads, it seems that it's more important to show that I can handle a course load like the above while doing the EC's (and "kill the MCATs"), but at the end of the day it's a numbers game. Do I have to inflate my GPA with more upper-level sciences?

2) I couldn't help but feel anxious when my pre-health advisor told me that most med schools prefer pre-reqs to be less than 5 years old (mine are 8+). I've looked at the non-traditional threads regarding old pre-reqs, but I'd really appreciate a realistic idea of how much this might hurt me when compared to the traditional applicant.
*my calculus class is actually AP calc credit from my ancient HS days, and it's gonna be 10+ years old by the time I apply. Should I retake this?...

3) I realize that answers to these concerns will be different depending on the med school, so I need help: How do I decide on my list of prospective schools? Location and price are important factors of course, and everyone refers to "tiers" of schools. Is there a definitive thread categorizing med schools by tier, and are there any other factors I should be considering?

I will be doing a research internship at Northwell this summer (which will count towards volunteer hours), and hopefully start community service (required by my pre-health advisor, if I want a committee letter) as well. I intend on continuing hospital volunteering (patient care) and community service for as long as possible.

And finally, taking all of this into account is the big question: What are my chances at MD/DO, and what else can I do to improve them?

To all those who read through all of my pent-up concerns above and even respond, thank you, thank you for your patience and kindness...

Members don't see this ad.

New York state (although I do not want to stay here any longer than necessary)

Members don't see this ad :)
Grades don't really expire.
Grades as they relate to GPA calcs don't expire, but there are a couple issues with old grades, specifically prereqs:
1. somebody who hasn't been in a classroom for years is not likely to have a smooth transition to med school (doesn't apply to this thread)
2. there are a few schools that have at one time or another said they won't take prereqs over X years old. Miami said six years, for instance, a while back. But I've never heard of anybody having prereq "expiration" problems with only half the prereqs being "old."

For what it's worth, all my physics grades were from before some of my med school classmates were born. Undergrad physics doesn't change. But undergrad bio has had to keep up w/PCR, genetics, crispr etc. So there is some content-related logic to caring about prereq age.

OP, as for picking schools, you can't get data that would support precision tuning to your exact situation, because admissions are subjective. From GPA/MCAT of accepted students, you can see if you're in range for a given school, and then you just have to apply early and broadly. With any academic damage, you need to apply to 25+ schools. See the reapplicant forum for mistakes to avoid.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks very much, Dr. Midlife, on the advice. Looks like I will have to get cracking on MCAT bio stat, if the content has changed any in the last 7 years.

So from what I understand, short of having an eye on a specific school, I will be choosing schools within my "range" after I have all my numbers together. I will definitely look at the reapplicant forum once that happens.

Thanks, once again.