Quantcast

advice on volunteering in NYC? Not yet enrolled in a post-bacc program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happymonkey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I live in NYC, and I'm not enrolled in any post-bacc program yet.
I'm interested in finding out how one finds out about good volunteer opportunities without the benefit of a health professions advising office. I would like to start volunteering as soon as possible.

I work full-time, so I would be looking for something off-hours.
I do plan to contact my undergrad institution's health professions advising office. However, my school was outside of Philadelphia, so my guess is that they won't have much of a line on NYC opportunities.

I already work in public health, but there are neither clinical nor direct service components to my work. I want to be able to convince both myself and an admissions committee that I would be happy and do well taking my career in a clinical direction. So- if any of you could offer any suggestions of volunteer opportunities that would allow me to get that kind of exposure, I'd be very appreciative.
Thanks muchly! -HM
ps- If any of you have any experience with CUNY post-bacc programs(Hunter or City College), I'd love to hear about that, too. I will probably post a separate thread asking about those, but I thought that I'd put that out there here, as well.

Lawguy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I don't really have the answers you're looking for, but I'm in the exact same boat as you are (i.e., work full time in NYC, looking for volunteer opportunities). For what it's worth, I did a google search the other day using "medical volunteer, New York" or something similar as my search terms, and got about a million hits, but I haven't had time to sort through them yet to see if there's anything really interesting (a lot of the ones I did look at were completely non-clinical in nature). However, I did get links to a lot of the local hospitals' volunteer programs, so its a start, and there has to be something interesting out there.

Anyway, I'll let you know if I learn of any particularly interesting opportunities, and I'd appreciate it if you'd do the same. Good luck to you!