Advice on what to write on the White Board

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SweetTonics

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my profs recommended writing down formulas and graphs that would fit on a sheet of paper and writing it out every day until the day of the exam and the first thing to do on test day is regurgitate all that info on to the white board. I think it's a great idea - it will probably cut down on a lot of 2nd guessing and give me something to stare at when I'm completely lost on a question.

So far I have down formulas for biostats - SP/SN/PPV/NPV/etc; pharm formulas - half life/LD/MD and the various cardiac output formulas

I was hoping for some advice on what would be some good high yield points to add to this - I was also thinking of making a crude drawing of the 21-OH, 17-OH and 11-OH deficiencies, but I'm a little stuck on what else to add.

Members don't see this ad.

One of my profs recommended writing down formulas and graphs that would fit on a sheet of paper and writing it out every day until the day of the exam and the first thing to do on test day is regurgitate all that info on to the white board. I think it's a great idea - it will probably cut down on a lot of 2nd guessing and give me something to stare at when I'm completely lost on a question.

If you have practiced writing it out every day until the exam, I would hope you wouldn't need to write it onto the whiteboard...

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have practiced writing it out every day until the exam, I would hope you wouldn't need to write it onto the whiteboard...

Agreed. My cell professor in undergrad allowed us one flashcard (one side) of notes to bring to an exam. I spent all this time to write things on 2 sheets of paper to condense to one sheet of paper, and then finally onto the flashcard in itty-bitty writing.

Turns out, on exam day, I knew everything on the card like the back of my hand and never once looked at it (Of course, after the exam, I wish I had put other things on it, but that's another issue...).

it's definitely not a substitute for my brain, but just in case brain farts do occur, it's nice not to have to wreak havoc in my brain trying to come up with the formula for NPV or remember whether the risk factor is on top or the side...just little things like that. this method is just to make the more technical questions easier and quicker to answer

"Qiss Qiq Siq Sqs" or whatever would probably be a good idea

i just wrote that down yesterday! i thought i already knew it but missed a q on UW about the D2 receptor =/

i always figured tx for schizo was decreasing dopamine, so without really thinking, i clicked anagonizing Gs, but it's stimulating the D2-R which is Gi

learn something everyday..

i just wrote that down yesterday! i thought i already knew it but missed a q on UW about the D2 receptor =/

i always figured tx for schizo was decreasing dopamine, so without really thinking, i clicked anagonizing Gs, but it's stimulating the D2-R which is Gi

learn something everyday..

Not to spoil your moment of glory or anything, but Rx for Schizo is antagonizing D2. UWorld must be on crack.

Not to spoil your moment of glory or anything, but Rx for Schizo is antagonizing D2. UWorld must be on crack.

lol not at all...thanks for that.
knowing me, i probably misread the explanation - the question asked about aripiprazole, which is a partial agonist at D2 - maybe that had something to do with it..

Ohh ok, yeah you're probably right, I was thinking about the typical antipsychotics. My bad

Really? People do this stuff? It seems like more of a waste of time and brain space to try to fill the white board at the beginning. You only have 60 minutes per block total; why waste time writing out a bunch of formulas you may not even need?

I used the white board to write down things I wanted to look up at the end of the day to make me sleep easier until my score came in the mail.

Really? People do this stuff? It seems like more of a waste of time and brain space to try to fill the white board at the beginning. You only have 60 minutes per block total; why waste time writing out a bunch of formulas you may not even need?

I used the white board to write down things I wanted to look up at the end of the day to make me sleep easier until my score came in the mail.

I thought you could write on the board before beginning your test? That's what Dr jenkins from DIT says in the first lecture

I thought you could write on the board before beginning your test? That's what Dr jenkins from DIT says in the first lecture

Yes, you can. They send you in with the board, and you need to plug in your password to start. You have time to write on the board before you start.

you would use the 15 mins provided for the tutorial - from what i've been told, you'd have to periodically click the "forward" button on the tutorial (otherwise, if you've been idle too long, it starts the exam)

you would use the 15 mins provided for the tutorial - from what i've been told, you'd have to periodically click the "forward" button on the tutorial (otherwise, if you've been idle too long, it starts the exam)

No you wouldn't because the exam doesn't start until you plug in your passcode. You don't lose any time.

A friend of mine told me to draw out the Brachial Plexus diagram, as it really helped him on his exam. Food for thought.

far I have down formulas for biostats - SP/SN/PPV/NPV/etc; pharm formulas - half life/LD/MD and the various cardiac output formulas

Understand the concepts behind those formulas and you will never forget them. For example, sensitivity is concerned with detecting diseased people while specificity is concerned with detecting healthy people. I know that they are vaguely explained in first aid, that's why you gotta opt for a more comprehensive book first and foremost

Last edited:
I never used the white board. I don't know why you would jot down random facts beforehand. Your memory is better than that I would guess.

I never used the white board. I don't know why you would jot down random facts beforehand. Your memory is better than that I would guess.

I thought I might use it for the biostat, pharm, and physio equations. Right when I started the test, however, I realized that it's easier to just recall those equations as needed. I think a total of 3 showed up on my test anyway.