Writing long "why us" essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vaporfly3000

Reaction score
Sorry this is my second post complaining about the "why us" essay. I tried writing two(UNE and PCOM) and I barely made 400-450 words on each. Their word count are both 2000 words. NYIT is 1000. Location, research, clerkship, a free clinic that every school has, and curriculum again only notable in some schools, I simply can't produce the word count they need when I have nothing to speak about. For each of the topics, I can at most come up with 4 genuine sentences. Does anyone have an example of one of these marathon essays? Or write substantially about one of the topics as an example for me. I know this is asking for a lot but I'm just so lost and I really want to apply to these schools.

Members don't see this ad.

First, don't feel compelled to fill the entire word count.

Second, did you have an outline? Do you have something about curriculum/grading policies, clinical experience, community values and outreach, student life and support, personal?

The essay has to sound like you. Seeing someone else's response a little but you have to sound like you have done more than read the website. That's where the prior work you did with networking comes into play.; it's time to show what you learned from this.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi OP. It doesn't need to be long - I promise. Adcoms don't want to read a whole essay - god knows we read enough of them. One or two paragraphs outlining your top few reasons for wanting that specific school is plenty. If you have a geographic or family tie - make sure it's in there!

Reactions: 2 users