Advice please: MD/PhD epidemiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MarkovTheBeast

waynee weedee weekee
Reaction score
I have an MPH in epidemiology from a CEPH-accredited school of public health and I have been accepted to the regular MD program at the same school. My interest is in cancer epidemiology and I hope to publish my first epidemiology paper in this area before the start of medical school. When I applied to medical school, I had not yet started my epi research and I did not know it was something I wanted to do long-term, but it is now a serious interest. The MSTP at this school does fund epidemiology PhDs.

My stats:

Undergrad GPA 3.7, MCAT 512
Admitted to MD program, matriculation fall 2019
Good relationship with my MPH research faculty advisor and other epi faculty at the university. Can get letters of recommendation from 2 epi faculty.

What can I do to be competitive for the MSTP? My MCAT and GPA are below the mean (515/3.8) for the MSTP. I do not have the most robust research background (~400 hours and climbing, most of which was for my MPH capstone research) so I have some serious “imposter syndrome” at the thought of applying MSTP. Many thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

... except that you are likely to feel at ease with the epi crowd of MSTP students. Find out who is the MSTP leadership person who looks after the Epi MSTP students. Start talking to that MSTP leader (typically an associate PD). Then, go out and meet the MSTP director...
Just keep in mind that:
* you are already into the MD program,
* have a MPH w capstone project,
* have a "good relationship" with the epi faculty,
you are legit for the profession. We all start at a less skillful point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I don't have much to add about the process of applying into the MSTP, but I am pursuing Epi in an MSTP and would be glad to answer any questions you have about the path, impostor syndrome, etc. Feel free to drop me a PM!

Reactions: 1 users
At my school, at least, it's not uncommon for about 1 straight-MD student per year to apply internally as an M1 or even M2 to the MD-PhD program. Is that what you're planning to do? I applied up-front (ie not as an internal applicant), so I don't know all the details, but my understanding (again, at my school**) is that if you do well in your preclinical coursework and show up at MD-PhD program events and talk to/secure a research mentor for your eventual PhD work, that's about all there is to it. I don't think your specific interest in epidemiology matters, especially if you're already in the clear with the program supporting epidemiology training. The major downside, of course, is that the MD-PhD program will likely not pay your MD tuition until you fully matriculate into the MD-PhD program.

TL;DR - Talk to the MD-PhD program director up-front, and ask them what their expectations are. The fact that you were admitted MD will more likely than not buy you some credibility, and you have demonstrated/are demonstrating research interest, too.

**One caveat--my school's preclinical curriculum timeline does not lend itself well to doing internships/projects during M1/M2, so there is not an expectation that students in the MD-PhD program do any substantive research until after they finish preclinicals.