Advice please! Re-take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panda07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I re-take end of July and get my score back end of August? Or apply ? I am afraid of my low verbal score holding me back... but I don't know how much better I'll do on my third test. My GPA is very high and I have a good range of EC. Advice?????

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are your practice scores currently better than a 28?

Is there any reason to think you can do better?

Are you also applying to Osteopathic schools?

Are you going to erase all your posts in this thread once you get your advice thus rendering it useless for people who search for threads about this topic in the future? :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm kind of in the same situation as you. I've gone through all the options and asked a former adcom. I got a 26Q for my 3rd time. Big bummer but I'm still applying.

1) Retake, risk submitting a later application. But for me, I wasn't sure how much I could improve and my problem was my verbal. Knowing that I already have a couple of jobs lined up for me, this would be an unlikely choice.
2) Take another year off, really study and do your best to improve on your MCAT while continuing with your ECs or whatnot.
3) Just apply and go with it! Add some DO schools while you're at it. Make sure to apply broadly and confidently! (You'll have a 50/50 getting in somewhere, hopefully!)

I chose #3. I don't know if this helped or not, but don't give up! :)

P.S. You've already got everything, a good GPA, good ECs, and letters.

I'd say just go for it. You never know!

Are your practice scores currently better than a 28?

Is there any reason to think you can do better?

These two.

If you're basically making around the same score after two tries, I don't know how capable you are of making a score that is significantly different.

Have you identified things that you might want to change about your approach to studying for the MCAT?