Advice Please : Walgreens Pharmacist Transfer to another city location

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ava999

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been working for walgreens as a licensed pharmacist for a couple of months now (I've been with the company in total for a year as a pharmacist intern) , and the location that I currently work in was not the desired location I wanted. It was also the only location I was able to get from Walgreens.

I took that Walgreens offer in that location because I thought, if I can at least get my foot into the door (by accepting that offer), I could then transfer to my desired location later on. The location I wanted to transfer into is a big city, and when I did a recent Walgreens job search , I found some openings. :soexcited:

I looked at previous post about this subject (there weren't that many) and I know that before you try to transfer , search for openings, in which I found. Some posts stated to contact that DM while others stated to talk to my own DM.

The biggest fear I have is losing the position I have now, due to trying to transfer, as I heard MANY horror stories about people trying to transfer. For example, there were stories I heard of the transfer not going through (due to their DM not contacting the other DMS, or the store manager changing their minds last minute) ....and the pharmacist is left without a job. I had a close friend that also experienced this.

Can someone who successfully transferred, or knows the process, guide me on how to transfer to another city without difficulties. Also, I am a floater.

Thank you, I really appreciate this.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you have a replacement for yourself, transfer is done pretty quick (or 2 years+/forever if no one wants to work in your store/replace your position). Both DM need to approve it. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
As long as you have a replacement for yourself, transfer is done pretty quick (or 2 years+/forever if no one wants to work in your store/replace your position). Both DM need to approve it. Good luck.

Thank you for your response! I am a floater, therefore I do not have a store. Wouldn't that be an easier transfer, since I already float?
Do I contact the DM of that area first? How would I apply for that job, if I am already working in the company.

I don't work for Wags but I can tell you that I wouldn't even consider 2 months as a pharmacist as a foot in the door. My logic here is that it helps for your current DM (if you talk to them) to speak on your behalf to the other DM. It is up to new district to accept you and less important for old district to let you go. Of course old district can block any move if they want to.

So it all depends on your relationship, if you have one, with your current DM. It would be a lot easier if he at least emailed the other DM.