Advice Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NOVA1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I would like some advice on getting to medical school. I want to go to a DO school. I am active duty and the base I am stationed on is not near a university so I felt like online school was my only option. I am currently taking general education classes and I have taken Chem I and Chem II ( I know I will eventually have to taken these over since medical schools frown upon online science classes). I am taking the classes at AMU, I know it's not the best choice now but at first I didn't think it would be an issue because it is a regionally accredited school. Anyways my question is should I stop taking classes at AMU and wait until I PCS in about a year (hopefully to somewhere closer to a University), then transfer and take classes there. Or should I continue to knock out my general education requirements. I do not plan on getting a degree from AMU I just wanted to get some of my general education requirements done. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

If your plan is DO, I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as AMU is regionally accredited. I applied to 24 DO schools and only one did not accept online courses. Most DO schools require labs with your science courses so that might be your only hurdle with online courses. I'm not all that familiar with how a college degree can be pursed while enlisted so you should probably wait for someone else with experience to comment before making a decision.

Hi everyone. I would like some advice on getting to medical school. I want to go to a DO school. I am active duty and the base I am stationed on is not near a university so I felt like online school was my only option. I am currently taking general education classes and I have taken Chem I and Chem II ( I know I will eventually have to taken these over since medical schools frown upon online science classes). I am taking the classes at AMU, I know it's not the best choice now but at first I didn't think it would be an issue because it is a regionally accredited school. Anyways my question is should I stop taking classes at AMU and wait until I PCS in about a year (hopefully to somewhere closer to a University), then transfer and take classes there. Or should I continue to knock out my general education requirements. I do not plan on getting a degree from AMU I just wanted to get some of my general education requirements done. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most schools now a days accept online courses.. It's not "ideal" in most cases but you're not one of them. Schools will get that you did what you had to do while serving, and appreciate your app for it.

In short, keep taking them where you are as long as you feel you are understanding the material well enough to do well on MCAT someday.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input! I am trying to find a way to complete a degree while on active duty. I know Arizona State University has an online B.S in Biology. The labs are done on campus during the summer semesters in condensed weekly formats. Have you heard of anyone getting an online degree with in person labs and getting accepted?

Thanks for the input! I am trying to find a way to complete a degree while on active duty. I know Arizona State University has an online B.S in Biology. The labs are done on campus during the summer semesters in condensed weekly formats. Have you heard of anyone getting an online degree with in person labs and getting accepted?

I've never heard of that specific program but I have heard of people doing strictly online pre reqs and getting into the schools that accept online course (which is most schools now a days), and again, your veteran status will both explain why you chose to take the classes in this manner AND serve as a major boost to your app.