Advice Please ..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PKP719

Operation starts after 12
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a "super" senior majoring as bio medical engineering (5 th year) and weak 3.1 gpa . I took off time to work with several companies in dealing with medical devices. When it was it all and done , I came to the significant conclusion that I rather be the guy installing devices and interacting with patients than simply doing r/d. For some reason , I was trying to build my "industry" profile so that I would be in a position where I can talk to patients and doctors 100 % of my time. It just didnt make sense ..
What is unique is that ..
I am taking bio 1 and orgo 1 this sem (fall) and bio 2 and orgo 2 next sem (spring). Dont ask why I am taking it right now and so late its a long story hehe but in simple terms.. my curricullum has its own "engineered" version of bio and etc.
I am also planning to take MCATS in april ..
My main goal is to get into SGU/Ross/Saba(2005) by this summer/fall ...
Do I have any chance at all to get in ? And when would I start sending out my application considering I didnt even finish the pre req's yet ?

I am quite impatient about waiting till 2006 to get my shot at the americal schools , I am currently 22 turning 23 soon .. (not getting any older ya know)
But realisticly in my opinion , I dont really care if its from forgeign or american or DO ...its all about the skills you develop and the applications you decide to use at the end :)

Sorry for the long post , but I figured an detailed explanation would give you a better image of myself and my situation ..

Members don't see this ad.

thanks for all the responses lol , you guys answered every question of mine

I was kind of in the same situation you are in. I did the whole engineering thing and decided it was not for me. That's how I end up here now. Well, from every medical school I have applied to the prereq's are required. I would believe that this is the same for any schools that are foreign as well. Definately take the MCAT like you plan and see what happens. If the score is high enough you might be able to stay in the US. Remember though the schools down in the carribean have a rolling admission policy so if you don't get in the first time there is always next time. Don't worry to much about how old your getting either. I'm 27 and have been trying to get in for so long now that I could be done by now. I finally got tired of wasting time and money and got in at AUC.

Members don't see this ad :)
sure, u will. confidence is a good thing.

From the sounds of it........you have a great chance. I was also a "super" senior in undergrad....changed my major 5X, graduated with 180 credits. I'm currently finishing my last few months of med school at Ross. Apply, be confident........you'll get in, need not worry.

Harbster said:
From the sounds of it........you have a great chance. I was also a "super" senior in undergrad....changed my major 5X, graduated with 180 credits. I'm currently finishing my last few months of med school at Ross. Apply, be confident........you'll get in, need not worry.

thanks for the uplifting comments ,
I am trying to hang in there. Just signed up for Kaplan starting Nov. Planning to take the test in April.
These MCAT's are intimidating considering that I wasnt all that hot stuff on the SATS ...bad memories with exams like these. Ended up at a university that I really didnt want to be at .. all b/c of whack SAT scores. But I think my university and myself made a great investment at the end :)
All you can do is give it your best shot ya know ..

Just work hard in your current classes and prep well for the MCAT. At least you know you have a degree in a popular field to fall back on. Don't forget to start volunteering, shadowing, etc. to get experience. Good luck.