Advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cpb80

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone currently attends Ponce School of Medicine in Puerto Rico or what your perceptions are of Ponce SOM. Just to give you a brief background of myself so you may gauge whether or not Ponce would be a good school for me...

MCAT: 28Q
BCPM GPA 3.31, Overall GPA 3.4
Undergrad: Cornell
Speak Spanish (Puerto Rican)
Interested in Surgery, possibly Emergency Med, possibly Trauma surg
Want to practice in the states (ie New York)
Interested in working with Spanish speaking pop's
Currently an ESL teacher

I am currently applying to allopathic schools in the states for the fall of 2005.
So far I have received some interviews at allopathic schools in the states, but I am seriously considering going to Ponce SOM if I do not receive any acceptances.

I have heard that students from Ponce do not have trouble matching, but how is the training? Is there good clinical experience?

Should I improve my MCAT and GPA and apply again to schools in the states for fall of 2006 (though I wouldn't be able to improve my BCPM GPA significantly before fall of 2006) instead of going to Ponce?

Is going to Ponce, which is LCME accredited more highly regarded than going to the other schools in the carib (ie SGU, Ross, AUC etc)?

Any help is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

For all the US schools including Ponce. Ponce is a US LCME accredited school so it is equivalent to any other school in the US