advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

prp785

hey ...I have a question about applying.. I was planning on getting them in early, but then I found out I did pretty bad on my mcats. Both my gpa and mcat is below avg. and I am planning on retaking in august. I know applying early is the best route for weaker applicants, but I'm afraid of gettin rejected before they even see my aug. mcat scores.. what should i do, send them in or wait?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

its almost impossible to give good advice we dont have the whole picture...how low is your gpa ..how low is your mcat...and which schools are you interested in..

DrMikeyLu said:
its almost impossible to give good advice we dont have the whole picture...how low is your gpa ..how low is your mcat...and which schools are you interested in..

sorry about that, I should've been more specific. I calculated my science gpa as 3.2 and my non-science at 3.3
my mcat turned out to be a 21, but I was averaging around 26 on practice exams.. so I'm sure I will be able to raise my score on the august test.
I have good recs, two from DOs, and clinical experience.

I'm from south florida, so right now I'm most interested in NSU : )
but I am also applying to DMU, PCOM, UMDNJ-SOM, CCOM, LECOM, VCOM and probably a few more..

Members don't see this ad :)
woohoo..NSU rox..

I would wait and take the aug mcats...and in the mean time get everything organized so you can submit everything once you get your scores back...21 is pretty low..but i think your gpa is fine...i got in with a 3.1 sci 3.3 overall (3.56 non sci)...i would try to at least get a 25 on the MCATs to be relatively competitive..Hopefully NSU will release the average stats of those that got accepted this past cycle

I think that me and you are kinda the same. I also did very very bad on the MCAT in April, but I turned all of my stuff in May 26th. I have already received 5 secondarys, and I got one rejection, but I emailed them and they said that they will reevaluate my application after the Aug test. I would turn in your stuff if I were you, at the least, you will get to finish your secondarys and just have to wait for your new MCAT scores. Also I have to say my stats are worse than yours. 3.1 GPA but 3.7 for Spring 06 and got on the deans list (finally!). So I have a nice upward trend. I had a worse MCAT than yours, so bad that I dont even want to talk about it. I had a very bad morning before the test, but that is another story all together. :(

cant you also just submit the app and say you plan on taking the mcats this aug. i dont think you have to report your april score, do you?

n0chi said:
cant you also just submit the app and say you plan on taking the mcats this aug. i dont think you have to report your april score, do you?
Yeah you can do that. I would submit my application, and make sure all the schools know that you are planning on retaking the test in August. But that is just me.

oh.. but what if i chose to have my scores released when i was registering for the mcat? dont they recieve them automatically?
so i can submit my application without forwarding my mcat score to aacomas? and then just submit both after the august scores come out? :confused:

thanks for the help guys

I think you should submit your April and August scores. First of all they might give you an interview with the 21 you got. Its really just below the average of some schools. Also, when you get a better score on the Aug one then they will see that you worked really hard and have improved.

prp785 said:
oh.. but what if i chose to have my scores released when i was registering for the mcat? dont they recieve them automatically?
so i can submit my application without forwarding my mcat score to aacomas? and then just submit both after the august scores come out? :confused:

thanks for the help guys

as far as i know, yes at the time you send them your aug score, they will see your previous april one as well. and if the aug is a vast improvement, it will still benifit you this way as well.

but as the person above said, you just might get in someplace, but if you really specifically want nsu, then maybe holding off on the april mcat makes sense...

prp785 said:
sorry about that, I should've been more specific. I calculated my science gpa as 3.2 and my non-science at 3.3
my mcat turned out to be a 21, but I was averaging around 26 on practice exams.. so I'm sure I will be able to raise my score on the august test.
I have good recs, two from DOs, and clinical experience.

I'm from south florida, so right now I'm most interested in NSU : )
but I am also applying to DMU, PCOM, UMDNJ-SOM, CCOM, LECOM, VCOM and probably a few more..
I'd advise you to take the August MCAT. Hopefully you'll score at or above that 26 you were getting on your practice tests.

n0chi said:
as far as i know, yes at the time you send them your aug score, they will see your previous april one as well. and if the aug is a vast improvement, it will still benifit you this way as well.

but as the person above said, you just might get in someplace, but if you really specifically want nsu, then maybe holding off on the april mcat makes sense...
I think you scores are automatically released to MD schools, but no DO school. I had to specifically ask MCAT to release my scores to the DO schools.