Advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saruman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am looking for advice. I am currently a student in the north of England finishing my Alevel exams in short order. I have accepted a primary and backup UCAS offer to study chemistry, however I ultimately want to pursue a career in medicine. I was wondering if someone could possibly advise me on the quickest way I could access a medical degree or point me in the direction of someone who can.

My Alevels are chemistry (predicted A), maths (predicted A) and further maths (predicted B).

Thankyou very much,

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I am looking for advice. I am currently a student in the north of England finishing my Alevel exams in short order. I have accepted a primary and backup UCAS offer to study chemistry, however I ultimately want to pursue a career in medicine. I was wondering if someone could possibly advise me on the quickest way I could access a medical degree or point me in the direction of someone who can.

My Alevels are chemistry (predicted A), maths (predicted A) and further maths (predicted B).

Thankyou very much,
Your fastest route by far (especially if you gain at least AAB in your A-levels) will be the five-year MBBS/MBChB medical degree in the U.K. If you fall short in your A-levels, finish your chemistry degree which (assuming it's in England or Wales) will take three years, then apply to the fast-track four-year graduate medical degrees in the U.K. The latter route will take just two years longer (3+4) and it's a very attractive route for British applicants with at least a 2:1 honours degree.

If you want to study medicine in the U.S., you pretty much need to do your undergraduate degree in the U.S. (fours years), then enter medical school (four years). There are several additional hurdles for internationals, though, and it's really not worth it unless you have a very good reason for wanting to be here. If your aim is to practice medicine in the U.S., you can do that with a British medical degree as long as you take all of the required board exams that American medical students take (namely Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS).

Good luck!