Highschool student needs advice, please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jump55667

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I was accepted into UCD's 6-year programme right out of highschool, and am still deciding whether I should accept.

Just to give you a little background:
I have a 92% average in highschool, and have also been granted early acceptance to undergrad programmes at McGill and McMaster. I don't know anyone in Ireland, nor do I know anyone who applied to any schools in Ireland. Financially, I'm covered (parents offered to pay for half, and I can get a line of credit for the rest).

I have weighed the pros and cons of going, and am still undecided. My biggest regret would be going to McGill or McMaster for my undergrad, not getting into a Canadian med school, and having to go abroad anyways (basically wasting two years).

The downside of going to Ireland is, of course, coming back. I realize that I might have to settle for an undesirable residency.

Basically, I'm wondering if the pros outweigh the cons. Is the living abroad experience and the expense worth the rigors of coming home?

Thanks, any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

jump, you should probably find a thread from people who have already graduated or are in the process of graduating to get their opinion, I know there is one moderator Leorl who still writes and I believe has finished, you should try and ask (he/she?)

thanks alex,
do you think i should pm Leorl?
I posted this here because I figured it would have the best odds of reaching someone who was/is in Ireland. It might have gotten lost in the other boards.

Yes, by all means PM Leorl, I'm sure you will get good information.