Advice please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AMO69657

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my 3rd yr of undergrad and will finish my pre-reqs next year, senior yr. My GPA is pretty low, about at the 3.0 mark, I have some ec's and volunteer work. I will have to take 18 cr hrs per semester to grad. on time (may 09). My alternate plan is to finish up my pre-reqs next year w/o taking all 18 cr hrs so I can have a chance to raise my GPA and apply...and if I don't get in, take an extra semester to finish up my BS in bio and maybe retake some classes then apply again. Does this sound ok or will it look bad that I did not graduate on time? And what other things should I do to increase my chances in the next year?

Members don't see this ad.

ive heard taking the pcat and scoring well helps...

i actually have a similar question.

My question: Should I finish my pre-reqs my junior year, and apply for pharmacy school or finish up pre-reqs during senior year and get a BS degree in biochemistry and stay another year in undergrad then apply for pharmacy school?

As to your question, if you can raise your GPA while taking 18 credits per semester and graduate, that would be ideal. If not, it depends how much of your GPA would you sacrifice to finish, and whether or not you think it's worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why can't you do both? Try finishing up the pre-reqs for the schools you want to apply to and apply. If you don't get in then finish up the pre-reqs for your BS and apply again. It's not unheard of for someone who got rejected with just pre-reqs to be accepted after having received their BS.

it's more asking whether to finish up BS first then go to pharmacy school or just finish pre-reqs then go to pharmacy school. not a matter of doing one or the other.

from what i have seen if you only finish pre reqs without any B.S degree then you need a pretty high gpa and other good factors as usually high percetage of applicants are gonna have a degree

Well, from re-reading your original post, it looks like the time frame for completing your pre-reqs for pharmacy school and for completing your BS requirements are quite similar. I would recommend finishing up your BS and then applying, as another poster has stated, your GPA although not bad, is borderline.

My advice: no bs, get your BS. Even this yellow guy with the flag would encourage you to get your BS! :bullcrap: