advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haiwon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to apply for pharmacy schools for 2009. I will have a BS in biology by the end of this year and volunteered in the pharmacy for two years. I have 3.19 overall gpa and the science gpa is around there. I am going to take the PCAT in june.
The problem is I have gotten a couple of C's throughout the years: evolution, genetics, organic 1 and 2, gen. chem 2 , bio 2,and calculus. I plan on retaking those classes after I am finished with the biology degree. Alot of schools don't like to see Cs. Even if I retake those classes, how high are my chances of getting into any pharmacy schools? What can I do to increase my chance?:confused:
Thanks for the help :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning to apply for pharmacy schools for 2009. I will have a BS in biology by the end of this year and volunteered in the pharmacy for two years. I have 3.19 overall gpa and the science gpa is around there. I am going to take the PCAT in june.
The problem is I have gotten a couple of C's throughout the years: evolution, genetics, organic 1 and 2, gen. chem 2 , bio 2,and calculus. I plan on retaking those classes after I am finished with the biology degree. Alot of schools don't like to see Cs. Even if I retake those classes, how high are my chances of getting into any pharmacy schools? What can I do to increase my chance?:confused:

I think you will be needing a stronger GPA just because the competition is crazy. If you check out the "on average" of students accepted to pharm schools their GPAs are WAY above 3.1. I think retaking some classes to boost your GPA is a good idea, it will help your chances...But hey keeping trying if you don't get it in. I tried for 2 years (GPA 3.1) and finally got accepted.

Good luck

Haiwon,

For starter, I think that you are actually on the right track by re-taking those classes. It's really good to do well (aim for an A :)) the second time around because you want to prove to those schools that you have what it takes. The most important is definitely the Chemistry courses because you're applying to pharmacy school so you want to be able to do well in those.

As for the PCAT, you should definitely plan on studying for it a lot. Don't slack off! That's one major factor that can help your chances of getting in. It proves that you have the determination to study and do well. I've seen a lot people who take the PCAT without studying for it, 'what's the use?' If you have a bad score, it just makes your whole application look worse.

You also want to do a lot of extracurricular activities. Not only volunteer in the pharmacy. In order to set your applications apart from the other students, you want to show that you are well-rounded and you've done a lot to prepare yourself. Most of the pharmacy schools that i've seen focuses a lot on leadership (so volunteer in youth group, tutoring, community work, etc...), research (if you can find a place), and much more. Those are only my opinions and I hope it helps in some way or another.

Good Luck! :luck: