Advice please...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AF1892

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

For those who took just took the August MCATs, how important is it that we submit our AMCAS asap? I'm a little bit worried, because I'll probably finish the application and submit it this Sunday. How long does it take them to process it after I submit? Since school starts up again in Oct, will I recieve secondaries before then?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i have not checked this out as far as this year is concerned, but i was in somewhat similar position last year (although amcas worked last year)

but the schools, most of them, will not even consider your application until it is complete, which would include your mcat scores, and that will not happen until the 18th or so of october.

i would not worry about the late submital too much, but i would try and get as many secondaries sent to you and then turned in as soon as possible, so all of, or most of your schools will have a completed application by the time your mcat scores get there. remember that most schools are on a rolling admission and this makes it harder for the august folks.

i would also give amcas a call a few times to verify any info that they give you, they seem to change their mind about things quite a bit. . . :eek:

You should read the thread entitled "Letter to the President of AMCAS" to get up to speed on the mess AMCAS has made of the application process this year. Yes, you should submit AMCAS asap because all the schools are saying that you must despite AMCAS's monumental screw-ups. No one can tell you how long it will take them to process your app. Don't believe anything AMCAS tells you about it. After you submit your app you should print it out and start sending paper copies to the schools that are accepting them and start doing the secondaries that are on-line. Go to: http://www.geocities.com/lvnh6791/paperamcas2002.htm
for a list of such schools. You will start getting secondaries from some schools not on the list as soon as AMCAS transmits your preliminary info to the schools which has been happening considerably before the app is actually processed. I recommend getting everything done asap so they don't pile up and so your file will be complete when they get your scores. Best of luck. We all need it this year.