Please advice -got Cs in Final semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tenaccept

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to apply this cycle. Please advise how do adcoms see my final semester C grades in undergraduate research and Endo class

Final semester I had only 2 courses left and due to some personal and transportation reasons I ended up with C and C+ with these 2 courses which brought down cGPA from 3.77 to 3.67 and sGPA from 3.74 to 3.59

cGPAcGPA until 1st sem seniorsGPASGPA until 1st sem senior
Freshman3.90(38)4.0(17)
Sophomore3.64(37)3.57(31)
Junior3.68(32)3.68(18)
Senior3.30(22)3.95(14)3.18(19)3.94(11)
Overall3.673.773.593.74

Do I need postbacc or repeat the same classes or take different classes. I had applied for graduation.

Members don't see this ad.

This is a mixed bag but your gradual downward trend from your freshman year to your senior year shows admissions signs that you cannot handle rigorous coursework as the difficulty increases in the pre-requisite courses over time, therefore risk being screened out or looked down upon.

Reactions: 1 user
What advice are you looking for here? The grades are done, there's nothing else you can do. Figure out exactly why you got C's and C+'s your senior year, don't let those things happen again in the future, and move forward. A downward trend is just a data point, you still have a 3.7. Hopefully your MCAT and the rest of your app makes up for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure I fully understand what "cGPA until 1st sem senior" means (how can your cGPA entering 1st sem senior be higher than any given year?), or what the numbers in parentheses means..

However, this is a clear downward trend, and in particular getting a C in "undergraduate research" is a red flag because that is almost always an easy A. It's hard to advise without an MCAT. But if you determine you need to do a post-bacc, you should do new courses, not repeat the same ones.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure I fully understand what "cGPA until 1st sem senior" means (how can your cGPA entering 1st sem senior be higher than any given year?), or what the numbers in parentheses means..

However, this is a clear downward trend, and in particular getting a C in "undergraduate research" is a red flag because that is almost always an easy A. It's hard to advise without an MCAT. But if you determine you need to do a post-bacc, you should do new courses, not repeat the same ones.
cGPA- Cumulative GPA and sGPA- Science GPA.. The numbers in parenthesis means no of courses. Senior year 1st semester I got that GPA. But in 2nd semester due to the transportation and personal reasons I ended up with these grades and by the time I want to withdraw it was late

And please advice should I apply this cycle or wait and take post-bacc.

cGPA- Cumulative GPA and sGPA- Science GPA.. The numbers in parenthesis means no of courses. Senior year 1st semester I got that GPA. But in 2nd semester due to the transportation and personal reasons I ended up with these grades and by the time I want to withdraw it was late

We need an MCAT score. When do you take it?

If you get something like a 517, it completely changes the narrative. If you get less than a 510, then it puts you in an unfavorable position for MD schools. It’s all “what-if’s” until we know your score.

... so you had a 3.95 in fall 2022, but due to these courses you wound up with a 3.3 for the year? Bottom line, that's a downward trend and that will hurt.

It is impossible to advise on whether to apply without an MCAT, state of residence, and general info on ECs

Reactions: 1 users