Advice: Post Bacc Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrRiz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a recent graduate and have applied to these post bacc programs:
Hopkins-Biotechnology
Case Western- Medical Physiology
Case Western- Applied Anatomy
Rutgers- Biomedical Sciences
Tulane- Pharmacology
USF- Biomedical Sciences
Marshall-Biomedical Sciences
VCU-cert program
Wayne State-Biomedical Sciences

So far, I have been accepted into Wayne State and both programs at Case. To give background, I actually started by using the AAMC website and searched all allopathic post bacc program and narrowed the list from 176 to 9. I spoke with the directors of each of these programs and every school has a good program. Although this is true, I know every director wants to promote their program. I really want to hear from any students who have either been in these programs or chosen not to do these programs just to see what the student perspective is.

1) I wanted to know are these programs worth it? Many are expensive and I wanted to know if they are actually worth it? I am considering tuition and also living expenses. Are there any programs that I should weed out based on tuition?

2) Would it be worth it to not accept the programs and simply apply for medical schools in the Caribbean? I would be saving 80,000 for a 2-yr MS program and would be saving 3 years. Is it worth it? Any students that were in this situation please let me know. What is the Caribbean schooling like vs US schools? I have heard a lot of bad things so I dont want to go to the islands and have options cut off in terms of specialties/residencies.

3) What is the community life like? I know a lot of the schools are competitive but I really want to choose a school that has a good faculty-student relationship.

4) I want a program that could also work as a back up. If worst comes to worst and I am not accepted into medical school I want to be able to either have a job in education, research, or pursuing DO, or PA options.

5)MOST IMPORTANTLY I want a program that is going to best prepare me for medical school. If I can take courses to get my feet wet and basically take courses that are equivalent to m1 and m2 that would be amazing. Every school says our faculty prepare you well, but I would like to hear from students on their perspective.

Any suggestions or advice please!!

Members don't see this ad.

I did not do a post bacc program but I can give some advice. These programs are great if you had a lower sGPA in undergrad. By taking medical level classes, if you do well, you are essentially proving that you can survive the curriculum at a medical school. That is what can help you get into medical school. You can always go the medical school in the Caribbean, but not all of those students match back into the US for residency.

In terms of preparing for medical school, the classes are usually exactly what the medical students would have. In some instances, if you do well enough in a post bacc class, you can actually place out of that same class in medical school.

Hopkins-Biotechnology
Tulane- Pharmacology
USF- Biomedical Sciences
VCU-cert program

So far, I have been accepted into Wayne State and both programs at Case. To give background, I actually started by using the AAMC website and searched all allopathic post bacc program and narrowed the list from 176 to 9. I spoke with the directors of each of these programs and every school has a good program. Although this is true, I know every director wants to promote their program. I really want to hear from any students who have either been in these programs or chosen not to do these programs just to see what the student perspective is.

1) I wanted to know are these programs worth it? Many are expensive and I wanted to know if they are actually worth it? I am considering tuition and also living expenses. Are there any programs that I should weed out based on tuition?

2) Would it be worth it to not accept the programs and simply apply for medical schools in the Caribbean? I would be saving 80,000 for a 2-yr MS program and would be saving 3 years. Is it worth it? Any students that were in this situation please let me know. What is the Caribbean schooling like vs US schools? I have heard a lot of bad things so I dont want to go to the islands and have options cut off in terms of specialties/residencies.

3) What is the community life like? I know a lot of the schools are competitive but I really want to choose a school that has a good faculty-student relationship.

4) I want a program that could also work as a back up. If worst comes to worst and I am not accepted into medical school I want to be able to either have a job in education, research, or pursuing DO, or PA options.

5)MOST IMPORTANTLY I want a program that is going to best prepare me for medical school. If I can take courses to get my feet wet and basically take courses that are equivalent to m1 and m2 that would be amazing. Every school says our faculty prepare you well, but I would like to hear from students on their perspective.

You're best bet at this point is going Caribbean. Residency programs looks for only two things: STEP scores and those two illustrious letters after your name: M.D. Whatever anyone on this board tells you, do not go DO under any circumstances.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're best bet at this point is going Caribbean. Residency programs looks for only two things: STEP scores and those two illustrious letters after your name: M.D. Whatever anyone on this board tells you, do not go DO under any circumstances.

You can still be a DO. I had a friend who is a DO and went through the MD match and was able to get a spot.

You can still be a DO. I had a friend who is a DO and went through the MD match and was able to get a spot.
Yah, I was just messing with OP. He should definitely stay state-side and go DO. The only thing I would say would be to do the cheapest, in-state post-bacc possible, and aim for DO, unless he is super confident in his abilities to get a 35+ on the mcat.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I did not do a post bacc program but I can give some advice. These programs are great if you had a lower sGPA in undergrad. By taking medical level classes, if you do well, you are essentially proving that you can survive the curriculum at a medical school. That is what can help you get into medical school. You can always go the medical school in the Caribbean, but not all of those students match back into the US for residency.

In terms of preparing for medical school, the classes are usually exactly what the medical students would have. In some instances, if you do well enough in a post bacc class, you can actually place out of that same class in medical school.
Be careful with your terminology.
A post-bacc is any undergraduate (aka baccalaureate) level work completed after receiving a baccalaureate degree. It affects your undergraduate GPA.
What you are describing is an SMP, or special masters program. These are considered graduate-level work, because medical school is a graduate school (and you are taking med school courses). It does not affect your undergraduate degree, but instead is treated in the manner which you describe above.

Sorry to nitpick, but the differences are quite important, especially for those like me, who had never heard of either term before finding SDN, and who use these forums to piece out the differences/pros and cons of each plan.

Reactions: 3 users
Be careful with your terminology.
A post-bacc is any undergraduate (aka baccalaureate) level work completed after receiving a baccalaureate degree. It affects your undergraduate GPA.
What you are describing is an SMP, or special masters program. These are considered graduate-level work, because medical school is a graduate school (and you are taking med school courses). It does not affect your undergraduate degree, but instead is treated in the manner which you describe above.

Sorry to nitpick, but the differences are quite important, especially for those like me, who had never heard of either term before finding SDN, and who use these forums to piece out the differences/pros and cons of each plan.

Very true. I'm just used to ADCOMs calling them post-bacc programs because they are graduate level programs after you graduate from undergrad and not just classes taken back at the undergraduate institution. Bottom line for anyone looking, only go to a program that has medical level classes.

Very true. I'm just used to ADCOMs calling them post-bacc programs because they are graduate level programs after you graduate from undergrad and not just classes taken back at the undergraduate institution. Bottom line for anyone looking, only go to a program that has medical level classes.
That makes no sense...that would make all graduate level programs post-bacc, including med school itself!

That makes no sense...that would make all graduate level programs post-bacc, including med school itself!
It is just the way i'm used to hearing it classified. What ADCOMs really care about is that your graduate courses are equivalent to medical school classes. For example, if there is applicant #1 has a MPH and applicant #2 does well taking two years of medical level courses (i.e. medical physiology, immunology, biochemistry, nutrition, etc.) than all other things being equal, applicant #2 is more likely to be accepted since a lot of MPH programs are more epidemiologically oriented and less purely medical (not all, but a lot from what I've seen).

It is just the way i'm used to hearing it classified. What ADCOMs really care about is that your graduate courses are equivalent to medical school classes. For example, if there is applicant #1 has a MPH and applicant #2 does well taking two years of medical level courses (i.e. medical physiology, immunology, biochemistry, nutrition, etc.) than all other things being equal, applicant #2 is more likely to be accepted since a lot of MPH programs are more epidemiologically oriented and less purely medical (not all, but a lot from what I've seen).
Yeah, I get that...I have just never heard of SMPs or any other graduate work referred to as 'postbacc' programs. They're just...not.

Yeah, I get that...I have just never heard of SMPs or any other graduate work referred to as 'postbacc' programs. They're just...not.
Trust me, neither had I until this past year. I agree that it is all very confusing. That is why I have been trying trying to tell pre-meds that if they are going to take classes after they graduate, they must be medical level classes. Whether this is called post-bacc, SMP, or any other names out there. ADCOM's don't always know the program, but they always look at what the classes are.

Trust me, neither had I until this past year. I agree that it is all very confusing. That is why I have been trying trying to tell pre-meds that if they are going to take classes after they graduate, they must be medical level classes. Whether this is called post-bacc, SMP, or any other names out there. ADCOM's don't always know the program, but they always look at what the classes are.
It is not confusing. They are different things, whether they are frequently confused or no.

I disagree with your conclusion as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is not confusing. They are different things, whether they are frequently confused or no.

I disagree with your conclusion as well.
That's fine that you disagree, the advice I have given is the advice I was given from medical directors. It is course content and quantity that matters, not necessarily the program designation. How this changes different aspects of your undergraduate vs graduate GPA is not something that needs to be focused on, just do well in the courses and things tend to fall into place.

That's fine that you disagree, the advice I have given is the advice I was given from medical directors. It is course content and quantity that matters, not necessarily the program designation. How this changes different aspects of your undergraduate vs graduate GPA is not something that needs to be focused on, just do well in the courses and things tend to fall into place.
I am not disagreeing that an SMP will have a bigger impact than further undergraduate coursework, nor am I stating that calling an SMP a postbacc would change that in any way (though I still think this is an important distinction to make, especially in this forum).
In fact, one reason (aside from cost) for SMPs to be a last resort is the amount of impact that they can have. Screw up a few extra courses, you've got a longer road to travel. Screw up an SMP? Find a different goal.

Everything which you stated in your first post is true for SMPs; I never disagreed with any of that.
I am simply disagreeing that an SMP is the first option for everyone. Pricewise, it may make more sense for someone to take fewer, cheaper courses - and in that case, whether they are graduate or undergraduate (and thus how they affect your uGPA) does matter.

Last edited:
I am not disagreeing that an SMP will have a bigger impact than further undergraduate coursework, nor am I stating that calling an SMP a postbacc would change that in any way (though I still think this is an important distinction to make, especially in this forum).
In fact, one reason (aside from cost) for SMPs to be a last resort is the amount of impact that they can have. Screw up a few extra courses, you've got a longer road to travel. Screw up an SMP? Find a different goal.

I am disagreeing that an SMP is the first option for everyone. Pricewise, it may make more sense for someone to take fewer, cheaper courses - and in that case, whether they are graduate or undergraduate (and thus how they affect your uGPA) does matter.
If only a few courses are needed to help you get into medical school, then you don't need to take those courses (unless they are requirements). If you are that close to being a strong applicant, then filling in your ECs with more volunteering and shadowing will probably be enough. However, if you are even thinking that your GPA is too low to get into medical school, then yes, you do need to go to a program with a full load of medical level courses. If you still don't do well in those courses, then the harsh reality is that you may have to find a new career path.

Medical schools are scrutinizing applicant more because there are no longer enough residency spots available. If you are a borderline applicant, you really do have to prove that you can do well enough in medical school before you can be accepted.

If only a few courses are needed to help you get into medical school, then you don't need to take those courses (unless they are requirements). If you are that close to being a strong applicant, then filling in your ECs with more volunteering and shadowing will probably be enough. However, if you are even thinking that your GPA is too low to get into medical school, then yes, you do need to go to a program with a full load of medical level courses. If you still don't do well in those courses, then the harsh reality is that you may have to find a new career path.

Medical schools are scrutinizing applicant more because there are no longer enough residency spots available. If you are a borderline applicant, you really do have to prove that you can do well enough in medical school before you can be accepted.
Again we'll agree to disagree. There are some applicants for whom an SMP is the only option, sure. But that hardly encompasses all borderline applicants.
If you do enough ugrad courses, your GPA can be improved such that you are not such a borderline applicant anymore. This can be done while working, avoiding the increased debt you'd accrue taking fulltime med school classes with NO room for error during an SMP. And remember, if you end up not going to med school, an SMP will be meaningless for future endeavors, while an increased undergraduate GPA can be helpful.

Post-baccs are undergraduate classes taken after getting a bachelor's. They are distinctly different from graduate programs. AMCAS has a separate classification for Postbaccalaureate Undergraduate and Graduate courses/GPAs.

Post-baccs are undergraduate classes taken after getting a bachelor's. They are distinctly different from graduate programs. AMCAS has a separate classification for Postbaccalaureate Undergraduate and Graduate courses/GPAs.
Thank you.

I think that there is a definite gap here between myself as a medical student (who doesn't have to worry about the semantics of program designations) and the pre-medical students (who often know more than medical students) that has led to this conversation. However things are classified, it really doesn't matter to ADCOMs. What matters is whether you took classes after undergrad, and whether or not they were medical level courses.

Reactions: 1 user
Hopkins-Biotechnology
Tulane- Pharmacology
USF- Biomedical Sciences
VCU-cert program

I am doing a similar program this upcoming year and did a lot of research so I could possibly help you out. Out of the ones you listed, I applied to and got accepted to the Hopkins one and the VCU one. Surprised no one asked for stats - feel like those are a little important when deciding to go this (expensive) route (sgpa/cgpa?). Also, what is your MCAT?

That doesn't agree with what I've read adcoms say.

edit: Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by "medical level courses." I'm not sure that has a meaning really, unless you're talking about a professional program like a dental degree.

Last edited:
While all programs will be looked at, it is the ones with medical level courses that pull the most weight (either good or bad for the applicant). Getting into medical school is going to be harder now because of the residency spot shortage. Schools are going to be taking fewer chances on borderline applicants because they don't want them not matching four years down the road. It is a harsh reality and I think it is terrible (some of the people I think are going to be the best doctors were once borderline applicants), but that is the direction schools are going. If you didn't prove in undergrad that you can survive medical school, then you have to find a new way to prove you can survive. The most effective way is by taking a full load of medical level courses.

edit: Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by "medical level courses." I'm not sure that has a meaning really, unless you're talking about a professional program like a dental degree.

SMP at GU seems like the most quote unquote medical level like courseload.

No I'm talking about the type of programs, I guess the designation now is SMP according to mehc012. These programs have you take the exact same courses that a first year medical student would take. For example, Drexel's IMS program has you take Physiology, Biochemistry, Nutrition, Genetics, Immunology, Histology, and some others that I am forgetting. Those are exactly what I took my first year of medical school. By going into these types of programs and doing well, you are proving to medical schools that you can handle the course load. It is these type of programs that if you do well in, can basically erase a poor undergrad performance (caveat: it can't completely erase an absolutely terrible undergraduate performance). The downside is that if you do terrible in this type of program, it is going to be extremely hard to get into medical school if even possible.

No I'm talking about the type of programs, I guess the designation now is SMP according to mehc012. These programs have you take the exact same courses that a first year medical student would take. For example, Drexel's IMS program has you take Physiology, Biochemistry, Nutrition, Genetics, Immunology, Histology, and some others that I am forgetting. Those are exactly what I took my first year of medical school. By going into these types of programs and doing well, you are proving to medical schools that you can handle the course load. It is these type of programs that if you do well in, can basically erase a poor undergrad performance (caveat: it can't completely erase an absolutely terrible undergraduate performance). The downside is that if you do terrible in this type of program, it is going to be extremely hard to get into medical school if even possible.
Yes, these are what are referred to as SMPs.
No one is disagreeing that doing well in an SMP will have the biggest impact.
However, your posts imply that SMPs are the only worthwhile path to take, which is ludicrous.
I'm largely ignoring the 'however things are classified' bit, because it is a nonsensical tangent...things are classified according to which type of courses you take, so it is very contradictory to state "it doesn't matter how things are classified which type of courses you take as long as you take a certain type of course."

Yes, these are what are referred to as SMPs.
No one is disagreeing that doing well in an SMP will have the biggest impact.
However, your posts imply that SMPs are the only worthwhile path to take, which is ludicrous.
I said it has the most weight in helping you. Never said it was the only path. The entire point of this post was that he/she was asking about these type of programs and asking if they were worth it. They are, but with drawbacks.

I said it has the most weight in helping you. Never said it was the only path. The entire point of this post was that he/she was asking about these type of programs and asking if they were worth it. They are, but with drawbacks.
ORly?
I agree that it is all very confusing. That is why I have been trying trying to tell pre-meds that if they are going to take classes after they graduate, they must be medical level classes.
This quote here (and the multiple times your posts have reflected this sentiment) is pretty much the entirety of my disagreement (other than the wording thing, which is admittedly a technicality).

If you have bad grades in undergrad, then yes you do need to take medical level classes. But taking classes after you graduate is not the only way to get into medical school. If there was ever any confusion or misinterpretation, then I'm sorry. That is the nature of these boards. I just trying to give some advice to applicants from the perspective of a medical student who knows how ADCOMs view things.

If you have bad grades in undergrad, then yes you do need to take medical level classes. But taking classes after you graduate is not the only way to get into medical school. If there was ever any confusion or misinterpretation, then I'm sorry. That is the nature of these boards. I just trying to give some advice to applicants from the perspective of a medical student who knows how ADCOMs view things.
You misunderstand my confusion, and continue to give poor advice.
As the confusion does not impact you (seeing that you're already in med school) and this thread stopped being useful to anyone else reading it a long time ago, I'm done.
Congrats on being in med school. Don't overestimate your perspective based on that success, though.

That is fine that you think I give poor advice. I know enough people in medical school who are living examples of the advice I have been giving. I learned to give the advice from them and from ADCOMs. I am not overestimating my perspective based on my success of getting into medical school. I am providing the perspective based on what I have learned from fellow students' stories and talking with administrators.

I am doing a similar program this upcoming year and did a lot of research so I could possibly help you out. Out of the ones you listed, I applied to and got accepted to the Hopkins one and the VCU one. Surprised no one asked for stats - feel like those are a little important when deciding to go this (expensive) route (sgpa/cgpa?). Also, what is your MCAT?
I actually did not take my MCAT. I applied to these programs and took the GRE as an entrance exam. I scored terribly as I didnt have time to prepare for it and I am still getting acceptance letters.

To clarify the confusion there are post bacc programs that are masters programs (graduate level) and ones that simply give you a certificate (undergrad level).

All of the ones I applied are at the graduate level. VCU is a certificate program but with an extra year is a masters. All of the programs offer graduate level/medical school level courses.

I am really trying to avoid the islands as much as possible. I have heard that people can finish in three years but it is unlikely as there is always a delay in time for rotations

Also I should add that we do take shelf exams at Case so it compares us to the rest of medical students. If these count toward an MD i am not sure.

I think one of the important things to note are what you take away. One of the key factors I liked about the applied anatomy program at case is that by the end of the course work the director said I should be able to walk into any anatomy lab or look at any muscle slide and tell what part of the body its in, how it works, and how the cells were differentiated to become the muscle. He also said that after the first year of courses the applied anatomy students who received A's are tutors for the medical school students. Pretty insane

I actually did not take my MCAT. I applied to these programs and took the GRE as an entrance exam. I scored terribly as I didnt have time to prepare for it and I am still getting acceptance letters.

To clarify the confusion there are post bacc programs that are masters programs (graduate level) and ones that simply give you a certificate (undergrad level).

All of the ones I applied are at the graduate level. VCU is a certificate program but with an extra year is a masters. All of the programs offer graduate level/medical school level courses.

I am really trying to avoid the islands as much as possible. I have heard that people can finish in three years but it is unlikely as there is always a delay in time for rotations

Oh okay. My first advice would be to take the MCAT ASAP. To tell you the truth, these programs are classified as easy to get in, but hard to get out - not meaning that it will be hard to graduate, but hard to actually utilize the program and the wad of cash as a stepping stone to med school.

With that said, you have at least two years - one to do the program and take the MCAT, and one to apply. If you already have an acceptance to Hopkins, I would suggest there - the director has lots of connections with current adcoms from various schools, and even though its in no way affiliated with the SOM, the name is still pretty big.

Oh okay. My first advice would be to take the MCAT ASAP. To tell you the truth, these programs are classified as easy to get in, but hard to get out - not meaning that it will be hard to graduate, but hard to actually utilize the program and the wad of cash as a stepping stone to med school.

With that said, you have at least two years - one to do the program and take the MCAT, and one to apply. If you already have an acceptance to Hopkins, I would suggest there - the director has lots of connections with current adcoms from various schools, and even though its in no way affiliated with the SOM, the name is still pretty big.

Yeah, I am actually taking the mcat in 2 weeks. When you say hard to get out are you implying that there is a good chance that this program may not actually assist me in getting accepted into medical school? These programs are offered through the SOM and so I think that is advantageous. Also from what I understood there are many people who apply and are not accepted into these programs as they are in high demand. Do you have suggestions for an alternate route? Thanks

Bear in mind that if you go to USF, you will be able to apply to 7 FL MD programs as an IS student and 6 of these schools are extremely unfriendly towards OS applicants.

Yeah, I am actually taking the mcat in 2 weeks. When you say hard to get out are you implying that there is a good chance that this program may not actually assist me in getting accepted into medical school? These programs are offered through the SOM and so I think that is advantageous. Also from what I understood there are many people who apply and are not accepted into these programs as they are in high demand. Do you have suggestions for an alternate route? Thanks
Nah not saying that it will not assist - take the SMP from Georgetown for example. Almost half of the curriculum is taught with and graded against the med school classes. These are true medical [level] classes and if you do well in them, it shows schools that you are able to handle the workload. On the other hand, if you do mediocre (SMP gpa<3.5), medical schools are less likely to accept you because you already have a mediocre undergrad gpa. In this regard, these types of programs are hard to get out of, but can be very very advantageous if you do well.

If you want to take this route, I would suggest GU SMP, Tufts, RFU, or other programs that offer courses parallel or with the SOM.

Im willing to take the risk. I know I have what it takes and I have learned from my mistakes. NOTHING will stop me

Bear in mind that if you go to USF, you will be able to apply to 7 FL MD programs as an IS student and 6 of these schools are extremely unfriendly towards OS applicants.

I actually do not think that a one year program qualifies me as a resident of florida. I would move back home after the program for a year (during the time I would apply)

Ok this may sound stupid, but what is worse...getting an MD from the Caribbean or remaining in the states and getting a DO? I know a bunch of DOs that seem successful. Can DOs specialize. What is the major setback?

Ok this may sound stupid, but what is worse...getting an MD from the Caribbean or remaining in the states and getting a DO? I know a bunch of DOs that seem successful. Can DOs specialize. What is the major setback?
This topic has been discussed ad nauseum on these boards. Asking this question makes it apparent that you have not used the search function on SDN, browsed almost any threads, or even Googled this. Here is a link to a good FAQ on the subject, which was literally stickied at the top of the entire subforum which is titled 'Pre-medical Osteopathic (DO)':
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/faqs-please-read-and-do-a-search-before-posting.596504/
However, you should really attempt to do a LOT of your own research. Information given to you is only worthwhile if it is backed up by your own knowledge, after all.

This topic has been discussed ad nauseum on these boards. Asking this question makes it apparent that you have not used the search function on SDN, browsed almost any threads, or even Googled this. Here is a link to a good FAQ on the subject, which was literally stickied at the top of the entire subforum which is titled 'Pre-medical Osteopathic (DO)':
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/faqs-please-read-and-do-a-search-before-posting.596504/
However, you should really attempt to do a LOT of your own research. Information given to you is only worthwhile if it is backed up by your own knowledge, after all.
Im new to this site, but thank you for sharing that link. I don't have free time to search threads with thousands of post (most of which are entirely useless arguments like the one above). I also have gathered more information from ADCOMs but just wanted to hear from students as quickly as possible. But again, thank you.

Im new to this site, but thank you for sharing that link. I don't have free time to search threads with thousands of post (most of which are entirely useless arguments like the one above). I also have gathered more information from ADCOMs but just wanted to hear from students as quickly as possible. But again, thank you.
If you don't have time to search a friggin' forum, what makes you think I do? Trust me, if it had taken more than 30s, I wouldn't have done it for you. It was the best out of 5 threads which I came up with in ~30s by a) using the 'Search' button, and b) NOTHING MORE THAN OPENING THE GORRAM DO SUBFORUM AND CLICKING ON A STICKY.

Welcome to the internet, learn how to search. Also, stop expecting people to do your legwork for you.
I know that post was intended to be a thanks, but truly it just made me angry at how little effort you were willing to put in on your own behalf. I put in essentially zero effort, and it was still more than you were willing to endure, FOR YOUR OWN CAREER DECISION. I think I'm more than done with this thread, anything else I would say would probably get me a permaban.