advice requested

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penn44

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about looking into a career in medicine as a non traditional student and would appreciate feedback from others who are familiar with the process.

I went to a top 10 undergrad for 3 years as a math major before dropping out to join a tech company. After that company went public I founded another tech startup, sold it after a couple years (just over nine figure acquisition, small to medium by silicon valley standards), and then spent 2 years working as an executive at the acquiring company (managing a couple hundred million dollar P&L with ~ 75 people reporting to me). My GPA from school is low (3.2) as I never cared much for grades. I'm 33 now. I am a workaholic with no problem focusing for a consistent 70 hours a week. I have a bunch of angel investments and sit on a few boards.

After a few rinse-and-repeat cycles I am pretty bored in the tech world and want to ''do something that matters'' for lack of a better term. I spent a lot of time volunteering with doctors overseas and am envious of their ability to get their hands dirty and tangibly improve the lives of others.

What am I looking at in terms of process going forward? Go back to school, finish the rest of my science pre-reqs over 3 terms, take the MCAT, and then apply to a bunch of schools? Anything I should be aware of given my background that will help or hurt me?

Members don't see this ad.

Start by doing some patient contact volunteer work and some clinician shadowing, to see what you're getting into.

I am thinking about looking into a career in medicine as a non traditional student and would appreciate feedback from others who are familiar with the process.

I went to a top 10 undergrad for 3 years as a math major before dropping out to join a tech company. After that company went public I founded another tech startup, sold it after a couple years (just over nine figure acquisition, small to medium by silicon valley standards), and then spent 2 years working as an executive at the acquiring company (managing a couple hundred million dollar P&L with ~ 75 people reporting to me). My GPA from school is low (3.2) as I never cared much for grades. I'm 33 now. I am a workaholic with no problem focusing for a consistent 70 hours a week. I have a bunch of angel investments and sit on a few boards.

After a few rinse-and-repeat cycles I am pretty bored in the tech world and want to ''do something that matters'' for lack of a better term. I spent a lot of time volunteering with doctors overseas and am envious of their ability to get their hands dirty and tangibly improve the lives of others.

What am I looking at in terms of process going forward? Go back to school, finish the rest of my science pre-reqs over 3 terms, take the MCAT, and then apply to a bunch of schools? Anything I should be aware of given my background that will help or hurt me?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OP, I just sent you a message with more detail as I went through a somewhat similar transition. Check your inbox.

Thanks for all the PMs, there was a lot of useful info in there. It sounds like signing up for a summer class or two at a U with a medical center where I could shadow one of the surgeons might be a good first step to test the waters.

Tech has been ground zero for an unbelievable gold rush and I've been fortunate to be part of that, if I stayed in tech I'm sure I would continue to make more than almost all MDs so finances have nothing to do with this decision. At some point it becomes soul crushing to sit around designing deceptive hooks in mobile apps to get kids to spend an extra few dollars or watch an extra few pre-roll video ads, regardless of the upside.

Nontrad career changers are supposed to look before they leap. To echo Goro above, do some shadowing/ volunteering BEFORE you start back in on the prereqs. Medicine might be a great path for you or not, but it's definitely not just a path to do because you are bored and looking for a change, which is kind of how your initial post reads. If you spend a little time with doctors and patients and it inspires you to push on, then by all means.

Reactions: 1 user