Advice Requested.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Merentha

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Friends,

I am an older applicant (40yo) and I have worked in basic research for the since getting my degree (PhD) in 2003. I have published though maybe not as much as warranted for a successful career in academia. I have never been about the publish or perish mantra. I am, and will always be, somewhat of a troubleshooter and tinkerer. I love bench work and loathe the idea that to really make it as an academic you need to constantly crunch grants for funding. No, I am not naive…I fully understand that you need to do things to keep the lights on and people under your command fed and quartered. I've just realize that while I love science, the business of science is not for me.

I am writing this to ask for advice. I have decided that I want to make a transition into clinical work either as a Pharmacist or a PA. For the last 2 years I have worked in a Ob/Gyn department working on basic science projects. I want to transition into a pure clinical discipline, but really am not sure of the path to take. I am currently torn between PA programs and Pharmacy. Initially, I thought Pharmacy would be the way to go…I enjoy the information. Believe it or not, I am also a certified pharm tech and have IV certification. However, from what I have gathered here (SDN) and on other sites, it seems the real world of Pharmacy is saturated and most jobs are in retail, which is a pack'em in numbers game somewhat removed from direct patent care. I was even willing to take a 55% paycut from my current employment (if that remains stable, thanks to sequester lol) to go into a tech position in order to gain prerequisite experience for applying to pharmacy school. At the interview for the position, the people basically looked at me like I lost my mind - why would I take such a hit etc…and informed me of their view of real world retail pharmacy. Hospital pharmacy may be more closer to my interest, but let's face it most jobs are retail and there is no getting away from that fact. The bottom line is: I want to have direct impact upon PTs.

Alternatively, I was thinking of applying to a PA program. However, I lack direct clinical experience (Pt interaction etc). I was thinking of taking some EMT classes to ensure that I like doing/can do the clinical protocols. Let's face it, basic research isn't hands on clinical work directly with people. If I screw up a operation on a mouse, well my Pt doesn't have to recover, while a human does (yes that is an attempt at humor - so please take it as such). I am leaning progressively more towards a PA program, given my statements on pharmacy. My questions are (1) Am I looking at this completely wrong? (The field of pharmacy or the PA); (2) Is is helpful or necessary to gain EMT experience for a PA program or am I just wasting time thinking about EMT experience. I have been in research a while and I do not want to make another career mistake….that is why I honestly am a bit apprehensive about how to follow through on this. I don't want to go through another long period of training only to find I have nothing but regret when I am done.

My basic stats: Undergrad GPA: 3.76. Major: Biochemistry/math minor. Graduate: 4.0. Specialization: Molecular Biology (PhD). Yes I am published.

Just a little trivia as an aside for giggles: when I actually inquired with several PharmD programs they specifically stated that NONE of my grad work is taken into account. It doesn't matter that I am as educated (and published) as some of their faculty - they would only look at my undergrad stats for evaluation.

I plan on posting this in the general and the pharm forums to get any constructive advice anyone out there is willing to share. I'm not trying to PO the mods.

Thank you all in advance for your attention and advice.

Members don't see this ad.

How soon are you looking to apply for Pharmacy or Pa program? If you are looking into getting into Pharmacy this year, ace the PCAT and you will be a good candidate for Pharmacy school. However, if you are interested in PA program more, you do need those clinical hours which you can get through volunteering at a hospital , health clinic, nursing home, or etc. That may take a year while working full-time. However, your uGPA is good enough for medical school. All those hours gaining clinical experience can also make boost your med school app. Try to throw in some steady non-clinical volunteer work and you'll be golden. I am going to assume that you will do well on your MCAT (~30).

Best of luck with your decision.