Advice/resources for post-bacc AMC research positions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gohogwild

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am soon-to-be-undergraduated and on the hunt for a post-bacc research coordinator/manager/assistant position, preferably in an AMC.

I have searched around the CUDCP board, and I've found some postings from Mount Sinai and Rhode Island Hospital, but I was wondering if there are any resources specific to AMCs? Other boards/listervs specific to psych positions would be awesome. Or a general list of AMCs (with psych/psychiatry research)?

Also, some general questions I have, how many jobs should someone like me apply to? I am trying to strike a balance between applying to enough programs to have a shot at getting a job, but also not putting a burden on the people I ask to write my LORs. Is it worth applying to big names like Mount Sinai or are the post bacc positions just as competitive as getting into their academic programs? I would say I am about middle of the road as far as how competitive my application is.

Thank you all for being so dedicated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I am soon-to-be-undergraduated and on the hunt for a post-bacc research coordinator/manager/assistant position, preferably in an AMC.

I have searched around the CUDCP board, and I've found some postings from Mount Sinai and Rhode Island Hospital, but I was wondering if there are any resources specific to AMCs? Other boards/listervs specific to psych positions would be awesome. Or a general list of AMCs (with psych/psychiatry research)?

Also, some general questions I have, how many jobs should someone like me apply to? I am trying to strike a balance between applying to enough programs to have a shot at getting a job, but also not putting a burden on the people I ask to write my LORs. Is it worth applying to big names like Mount Sinai or are the post bacc positions just as competitive as getting into their academic programs? I would say I am about middle of the road as far as how competitive my application is.

I am a PI who hires post-bacc RAs. I also was one myself, albeit long ago. I encourage you to look up faculty in AMCs (psychiatry) and VAs (mental health, often also have AMC appointments) with research programs of interest and locations of interest, and cold email them about anticipated openings. By the time jobs are posted on the Hr/R pages, they often already have candidates in mind. Another thing you can do is go on NIH reporter and see who has current funding (you can look up R01s for example). Most jobs will open in March/April (for a summer start) when current RAs accept grad school offers, but I know of some Jan-start positions.

I encourage you to apply to "high prestige" institutions. If you have any undergrad psychology research experience, you will likely be competitive.

Reactions: 4 users
Hello!

I'm in the same exact position you're in right now. I naturally encourage you to see if you know anyone that knows anyone. A phone call can go along way from what it seems. I also highly encourage you look at academic VA institutions if your research interests fit the bill as it seems like far less undergrads apply to these or even know they exist. One of the 5th years in my lab mostly applied to VAs and for one of the positions (in Portland, Oregon might I add) only had 2 other people apply to the actual position.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
100% what the above two posts said. Don't worry about competition. Especially not now. Job market is super-funky. We've had ads up that got no applicants at the same time as I got 4 PhD-level applicants for an entry-level research role that paid terribly (and stated the salary range in the ad). We've hired underqualified people for senior positions only to get vastly more qualified people applying for the absolute most entry-level roles. That might make things sound scary, but I mean it just to say cast a wide net and don't hesitate to throw your hat in the ring. MGH is probably overall more competitive than some random hospital in east Idaho (probably in no small part just because of a larger population to draw upon), but that doesn't mean you aren't competitive. You also never know what the applicant pool will be like. Random-nowhere-university might get all the best applicants for 100 miles because its the only paid research position in town. MGH, Mt Sinai, etc. probably have more research assistants than some hospitals have patients.

Some other thoughts:
- These are jobs, not schools. Most will ask for references, but not a "letter of recommendation." That's super-weird for a staff position - I don't ask for them and no one I've ever worked with has asked for them. Cover letter and resume/CV should be it. They may or may not even contact your references.
- I'd start picking out places you REALLY want to work and broaden your search as the prospect of being unemployed and unable to feed yourself grows more imminent and anxiety-provoking. This is how most people approach job searches rather than applying to X places. If you're thinking this far ahead, you are probably a reasonably strong candidate.
- might seem weird to cold email people, but don't hesitate. Worst that can happen is they don't respond or say "Sorry, I don't think we'll have any openings." I promise no one will judge an undergrad negatively because they were genuinely interested in their research, looking for a post-bac jobs and emailed asking if they knew of any opportunities for positions in their lab or among colleagues. If they do, you don't want to work with them anyways. Just keep it brief.
- Heavily abuse any existing connections you have. Anyone you did research with or even took classes with who does something even remotely related to what you might want to do - ask them. They probably aren't hiring but "Oh, ya know my friend Jim just mentioned over drinks last week he has two big grants suddenly coming through and now has to hire a bazillion people by yesterday."
- If you are interested in health behavior (smoking, drinking, pain, cancer screening, etc. - not traditional mental health diagnoses) and are willing to move to a mid-sized city in the central US, shoot me a message. I think we have ~10 open positions at my center right now (though some are for things like developing mhealth software that wouldn't be a good fit someone with a pure psych background).

Reactions: 1 users
Hello!

Just one more tid bit I forgot that could interest you. If you're willing to expand your search to VAs just know that most research assistant jobs are horribly advertised. Normally this would be a down side, but since you're clearly willing to do your homework it may also mean less competition for a desirable location/lab. Just some food for thought.

Reactions: 1 users
I am a PI who hires post-bacc RAs. I also was one myself, albeit long ago. I encourage you to look up faculty in AMCs (psychiatry) and VAs (mental health, often also have AMC appointments) with research programs of interest and locations of interest, and cold email them about anticipated openings. By the time jobs are posted on the Hr/R pages, they often already have candidates in mind. Another thing you can do is go on NIH reporter and see who has current funding (you can look up R01s for example). Most jobs will open in March/April (for a summer start) when current RAs accept grad school offers, but I know of some Jan-start positions.

I encourage you to apply to "high prestige" institutions. If you have any undergrad psychology research experience, you will likely be competitive.
This is great information, thank you so much. Your point about people already having a candidate in mind when the listing is even posted rings entirely true for me & was not something I thought about. I got my undergrad research position by cold emailing and that makes a lot of sense to keep on that line. Thank you PsychPhDone!

I'm in the same exact position you're in right now. I naturally encourage you to see if you know anyone that knows anyone. A phone call can go along way from what it seems. I also highly encourage you look at academic VA institutions if your research interests fit the bill as it seems like far less undergrads apply to these or even know they exist. One of the 5th years in my lab mostly applied to VAs and for one of the positions (in Portland, Oregon might I add) only had 2 other people apply to the actual position.
Thank you so much for this info, Cinnabon! That is wild about the VA positions especially since it is such a coveted position post grad, that said, I wouldn't have thought of it either! You are awesome & I wish you so much luck in the search of your own.

100% what the above two posts said. Don't worry about competition. Especially not now. Job market is super-funky. We've had ads up that got no applicants at the same time as I got 4 PhD-level applicants for an entry-level research role that paid terribly (and stated the salary range in the ad). We've hired underqualified people for senior positions only to get vastly more qualified people applying for the absolute most entry-level roles. That might make things sound scary, but I mean it just to say cast a wide net and don't hesitate to throw your hat in the ring. MGH is probably overall more competitive than some random hospital in east Idaho (probably in no small part just because of a larger population to draw upon), but that doesn't mean you aren't competitive. You also never know what the applicant pool will be like. Random-nowhere-university might get all the best applicants for 100 miles because its the only paid research position in town. MGH, Mt Sinai, etc. probably have more research assistants than some hospitals have patients.

Some other thoughts:
- These are jobs, not schools. Most will ask for references, but not a "letter of recommendation." That's super-weird for a staff position - I don't ask for them and no one I've ever worked with has asked for them. Cover letter and resume/CV should be it. They may or may not even contact your references.
- I'd start picking out places you REALLY want to work and broaden your search as the prospect of being unemployed and unable to feed yourself grows more imminent and anxiety-provoking. This is how most people approach job searches rather than applying to X places. If you're thinking this far ahead, you are probably a reasonably strong candidate.
- might seem weird to cold email people, but don't hesitate. Worst that can happen is they don't respond or say "Sorry, I don't think we'll have any openings." I promise no one will judge an undergrad negatively because they were genuinely interested in their research, looking for a post-bac jobs and emailed asking if they knew of any opportunities for positions in their lab or among colleagues. If they do, you don't want to work with them anyways. Just keep it brief.
- Heavily abuse any existing connections you have. Anyone you did research with or even took classes with who does something even remotely related to what you might want to do - ask them. They probably aren't hiring but "Oh, ya know my friend Jim just mentioned over drinks last week he has two big grants suddenly coming through and now has to hire a bazillion people by yesterday."
- If you are interested in health behavior (smoking, drinking, pain, cancer screening, etc. - not traditional mental health diagnoses) and are willing to move to a mid-sized city in the central US, shoot me a message. I think we have ~10 open positions at my center right now (though some are for things like developing mhealth software that wouldn't be a good fit someone with a pure psych background).
This is extremely helpful. Thank you so much for spelling everything out.

It feels strange to not ask for LORs! I had those things very linked in my mind. I just assume that academia-related positions are automatically attatched to LORs. That does make me feel a lot better about applying to the ones I want to apply to and also applying to.. a lot of position, if needed.

If you would like to PM me your centers website, I will send you my linkedin, if you like! I am only beginning to gather all of the places I may apply, but the fact that you are not linked up with a classical psych diagnosis does interest me!

Thank you again, your response is very helpful.

Hello!

Pmd you