Advice: Summer internship OR Summer classes while studying for MCAT?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woahthisisme

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, :)

Thank you in advance for answering my question. I'm currently a sophomore and I plan on taking the MCAT the June or July after my junior yr.

Should I pick option A, B, C why? If you have more options/advice please post below!

I'm not sure whether I should take a summer class (Physics 1 & 2) or summer research internship while studying for the MCAT. I don't really have that much clinical research experience and I might have an opportunity to do research at my dream medical school next summer. My research experience has mostly been psychological - surveys/observations/etc. However, I need to take Physics 1 & 2 prior to taking the MCAT. I can't take physics during the fall/spring semesters because my schedule can't fit these 2 courses - my only option is to take it during the summer. I'm not sure if it would be feasible to do a (40hr research / week) summer internship while studying for the MCAT. Also, if I take physics 1 & 2 while studying for the MCAT - I might not finish physics 2 by the time I plan on taking it in July. Taking an extra year (5th of college) is not an option for me financially. I'm not sure what to do in this predicament.

Options Below
4 Yr Plan Basic Outline

Option A:
Freshman:
Summer - volunteered at hospital/shadowed

(Currently) Sophomore
Summer - summer classes (Physics 1 &2) or summer internship

Junior Summer - will take MCAT this summer in July

Senior Summer -- n/a

Option B:
Freshman Summer - volunteered at hospital/shadowed

(Currently) Sophomore Summer - summer classes (Physics 1 &2)

Junior Summer - 40hr /week internship + study for MCAT in July (internship out of state)

Senior Summer -- n/a

Option C:
Freshman
Summer - volunteered at hospital/shadowed

(Currently) Sophomore Summer - 40 hr/week internship

Junior Summer - Physics 1 & 2 + study for MCAT in July (physics 2 end in August)

Senior Summer -- n/a

Members don't see this ad.

I would just spend the time studying for the MCAT personally if you have just a summer. That and volunteering and shadowing, and it would be a productive summer, yet give you the room to excel on the MCAT, which is much more important than having an internship or research or extra classes.

Reactions: 1 user
take the summer to study, you can do research during academia. It's far better to have the test out of the way instead of juggling it as a multi-tasker during fall and spring semester.

I'm working 40 hours a week at an internship and studying at the same time. I had about a month off before I started work, though, and did most of my studying then. My test is next Saturday and I feel super prepared, so I think it's pretty dependent on you as a person. If I hadn't had a full month to study, though, I'd definitely be in a much worse place right now.