ADVICE/TIPS for MPH program new student (me)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unpredictable

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Hope everyone is doing well. I am currently about to begin AMERICAN PUBLIC UNIVERSITY for MPH, and yes it is an online program. And yes, I did research many places, both online and regular schools/programs, by talking to various people in person and over the phone as well as online research. For me this is the best option and even better that it is CEPH accredited (didn't know what that was until a couple months ago but fortunate that I did since it seems to not be as common as I would think and seems to give it some legitimacy in opening up avenues after school).

My question is, since I am a new student in this and never have done an online program nor any MPH program before, I wanted to see if anyone here had any advice regarding how to go about it. It seems to be very self based in that the student registers for classes, does the assignments/readings/essays/etc., pays accordingly to credits taken for the time being and so on. I am unsure about best places I can get books for the classes, as they list them on their site for the individual class description, and I of course as many students probably do, want to save money and not spend it on things I don't need nor use much.

Also any tips on how many credits one should take at a time. There are 14 classes that are core required totaling 44 credit hours, and there is a Final Program Requirement for a capstone that is 3 credit hours at end. My plan is to not take any time off in between classes, even though I have read that it is recommended, but I feel like I can handle it without taking time off from classes and don't want to delay.

Fwiw, I will be currently working about 10.5 hrs a day, 5 days a week (M-F) from 7:30am-6pm while doing this program. But I know I can handle more than just a minimal load overall.

Members don't see this ad.

Be on top of your readings, quizzes, projects, etc. Online programs require you to have greater discipline than one with more rigid structure.

I am in a hybrid program at Duke University (MSN with HIV/AIDS Treatment and Public Health) and started this past August. I was working 9-5 M-F at an HIV/AIDS clinic and taking 3 courses, but I had to quit because handling work and school was too much and being that my priority is school I made the decision to drop work. Online graduate programs are definitely not easy, you have to make sure you manage your time efficiently and it's very hard to do so when you're working a full time job as well. If you want more details about my experience feel free to inbox me