Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tobi222

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
//

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Non-judgmental
That's a giant wall of irrelevant text. You didn't prepare and are not even remotely ready for the MCAT.
Now decide if you want to continue making poor choices and then digging out of your hole. Mature decision push back your exam and apply next year or continue on and take the exam and mark your record.
The positive is that your GPA is decent for DO and you can take this year to improve your ECs and get your MCAT to 505ish. You made a mistake wasting your AAMC FL1 and 2 so early. Those two exams should be saved until you are a couple weeks out of exam date because they are so accurate at telling you what your score will be.
Best thing you can do is SAVE FL3!!! Do not take it until you are about 2 week out from your future exam date which should be like January. Work on the Uworld and Qpacks until you can score like 80-90%+ and then move on to section banks. You can work on NS 1-6 or 1-4 during this time and take them as many times as needed to really learn the material.

Reactions: 1 users
If you go in 10 days you are going to hit that FL 2 of 495 which is going to look ugly on your record for schools to see forever.
Work hard this year and come into next cycle strong and you will become a physician if that's truly your dream.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you were scoring 507+ on AAMC exams with at least a 510 on one of the latest ones, you could go take the test next week. But in the 490s? That's kind of low even for DO schools :/
But I totally get the parental pressure, family opinions and high expectations! I face it all the time too.

That's a giant wall of irrelevant text. You didn't prepare and are not even remotely ready for the MCAT.
I didn't even read after your post.

OP you wasted 2 of the AAMC FLs. Don't waste any more AAMC materials and postpone your test day. I don't understand why people like to rush this process (not judging you just saying).

Reactions: 1 user
No judgement OP, I did some stupid **** that postponed my test day a year too (I got heavily involved in research that didn't leave me any free time to even do the MCAT).

You simply aren't ready, and this test score does last forever. Cut your losses and apply next cycle. Spend a good chunk of time studying to write maybe in the spring (allows extra time to re-write if needed), and boost your application a bit.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm gonna do this bit by bit so we can be clear. I myself come from a high pressure environment, and I'm also a 6 year non trad.

And I know even more, that I should be re-scheduling it for next year [...] I know I should apply next cycle. I know I should have re-scheduled my test date. I know I'm lacking in content (as you'll see below). I know I need more practice.. but I can't do anything about it anymore.

Yes you can. Stop half-assing the process and do it right. Otherwise you are wasting time, energy, money, and goodwill among your family. If you're doing medical school for them, just quit right now. You won't make it though medical school with an external motivation like that. You have to want to do this for yourself or you'll never finish.

But my mom will literally kill me if I decide to take another gap year. I have a lot of family members with high expectations breathing down my neck (especially since I'm repeating my mistakes)

No, she won't. She literally won't. Your family won't either. You're letting your fear control you and drive you. Instead of rising up to do what you should do, you're doing what you think they want. And that is a recipe for failure. If you really want to be a doctor, you'll manage with or without their support and approval. People make mistakes. That's a part of life. What matters is that you correct your mistakes, not scramble to half-ass a patchwork solution.

What will she do if you take the MCAT and score poorly? Same scenario my friend.

I already feel like a piece of **** so please don't kick me down any further or tell me I should apply next year.
And if you wanted to know:
3.4 sGPA
3.6 cGPA
3.9 non-science GPA
Have volunteered at hospitals, shadowed at least 3 doctors, went on a medical/dental mission trip, currently working on research with a professor (probably won't be published) & will probably squeeze in more volunteering/shadowing before I submit my app if there's no other test available

Hey listen, I get that. I have a very similar home situation. But you're an adult and you have to grit your teeth and make adult choices. No one cares if you feel like crap or are miserable. Own up, process, let go, and do it right.

But after all that wall of text, this is your ultimate question for us: how do I raise a 495 to a 510 in 10 days? (technically nine now)

It's not going to happen. Plain and simple. 15 points in 9 days is asking for the impossible. Even raising it 10 points for DO schools is nearly impossible in that time frame. There are many students who go from a 505 to a 510 after a three month dedicated prep period. But they had less ground to cover with much more time. And you make it sound like you're working off an AP Psych class from 4+ years ago for the P/S subsection. You really aren't going to be able to make this work.

Your app is pretty good. The sGPA is a little low, but not too bad. You've got all the ECs checked, you just need to make sure you have strong LORs and a strong personal statement. And a strong MCAT to balance out the sGPA. But that takes more time than you have right now. Cancel your test, open up that spot for someone else, face your family, make a real plan, and follow through with it. I spent 4 years doing what my family said I should do for medical school. None of it worked out. I finally put my foot down and did it how I needed it to be done and now I'll be matriculating in a month.

Reactions: 6 users