advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chaos16x

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone..I have been browsing the forums for a couple days, and I just registered.. I'm going to be a freshman at SUNY Stony Brook in a couple weeks. I am interested in one day becoming a pharmacist. I have been looking into various pharmacy schools, and I noticed that the pre-pharmacy curriculum can usually be done in 2-3 years.. Is it ideal to complete those requirements in 2-3 years, and transfer to a pharmacy school? Or should I finish my bachelor's degree first, get some experience..such as a pharmacy tech, and then apply to pharmacy schools? I am leaning more towards completing a degree, and then applying since if pharmacy school does not work out, I will already have completed a degree..whereas if I transfer out after 2-3 years with no degree, and pharmacy school doesn't work out.. it would be tougher to find a job since I have no degree. What do you guys think? Any helpful advice, tips, or recommendations are welcome.. Thanks for the replies in advance.

=D

Members don't see this ad.

chaos16x said:
Hello everyone..I have been browsing the forums for a couple days, and I just registered.. I'm going to be a freshman at SUNY Stony Brook in a couple weeks. I am interested in one day becoming a pharmacist. I have been looking into various pharmacy schools, and I noticed that the pre-pharmacy curriculum can usually be done in 2-3 years.. Is it ideal to complete those requirements in 2-3 years, and transfer to a pharmacy school? Or should I finish my bachelor's degree first, get some experience..such as a pharmacy tech, and then apply to pharmacy schools? I am leaning more towards completing a degree, and then applying since if pharmacy school does not work out, I will already have completed a degree..whereas if I transfer out after 2-3 years with no degree, and pharmacy school doesn't work out.. it would be tougher to find a job since I have no degree. What do you guys think? Any helpful advice, tips, or recommendations are welcome.. Thanks for the replies in advance.

=D

Hey there

Bottom line make up your mind and take that route. You can't be thinking, what if Rx school doesn't work out. If you are thinking that maybe you don't belong there, or maybe you fear failure. My advice is make up your mind and go all the way pharmacy, go as fast as you can, don't dwindle around getting a bachelor's and then going. that's 4 years, you can get into Rx school after 2. Just do it!!!!!!!1

chaos16x said:

=D

I'm in the same predicament. It's even harder thinking that I can apply to a 3 yr. accelerated program (UOP)! (6-7 yrs. sounds better than 8!) Has anyone applied to competitive SOPs (UCSF, USC, UCSD, UOP, Nova, etc.) and gotten in w/o a Bachelor's degree? Does it seem better to go ahead and accept an offer of admission into a pharmacy school just one year before you could have completed your Bachelor's degree? I understand the reasoning of taking a decision and running with it Tupac Don, but what about this situation?(addressing everyone)

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, thanks for the quick reply.. I also have another question which I forgot to post.. Since most applications should be handed in around January-March.. I will only be in my 4th semester of school. In my 4th semester, I will probably be taking organic chem. and Physics 2. Most pharmacy schools have that as a pre-req.. however the course won't finish until around May. Is it a disadvantage since the course is not yet completed, so there isn't a grade for it? Is it better to take more science classes in my 5th semester, and apply during the 6th semester? What do you guys think?

chaos16x said:

=D

Hey, get your degree first, then some experience, and apply if you feel it is the right choice for you. I graduated in 2001 with a BS degree, had no idea what to do really, as the physician thing wasn't my forte, and spent some time working till I found pharmacy. When I made that choice, I worked full time for a bout 1.5 years, and my last day is next week. Waiting was the best choice I made, especially, if you're unsure about it (I actually made the decision in 2002 and waited a whole other year to apply, community service, etc. best decision I ever made).

Or maybe you could obtain the degree and then go straight into school. So 4 years and then bam right into pharmacy school. I know for me, I was burnt out after my BS degree so, after working, I now am as motivated as ever to get studying and enjoy the experience. I value it a whole lot more after working and figuring things out (my fellow employees feed that fire :laugh: ). Plus, most schools tend to be moving towards admitting mostly those with a bachelors, so it will def make you more competitive in a already increasingly competitive pool of applicants.

Don't just do it to do it. Know it and it will show through. Take your time, prepare long term and achieve your goals in that fashion, no undue stress upon yourself, just certainty.

Again, that's MY opinion.

I agree, it seems that having a Bachelor's degree and experience will make you more competitive. That being said, you could apply without having a degree and see what happens. If you're accepted, then you won't need to continue with the Bachelor's, but if not, then you have your "back-up" plan and can reapply the following year.