advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atxpharmstdnt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum and was hoping to get some advice. I plan on applying to pharm school next semester, and my first choice is UofH. However Iam a little concerned about my stats. I am a junior and I plan on completing my biology degree.
Here are my stats:
GPA: 2.9 overall
PCAT: plan to take next year
Extracurriculars: Officer of an organization for 2 years, member of other organizations on campus
Volunteer: Various health related volunteer events, big brother/big sister
Pharmacy Experience: Pharmacy Technician at a hospital for 3 months, plan to work throughout my college career
Research: plan to work as an undergraduate assistant in a professor's research lab next semester
I feel that the only thing that would hold me back is my GPA. I hope to raise it in the next year, however, I am not sure if it would make a huge difference. Please let me know if you think I have a good chance when I apply next year. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

atxpharmstdnt said:
Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum and was hoping to get some advice. I plan on applying to pharm school next semester, and my first choice is UofH. However Iam a little concerned about my stats. I am a junior and I plan on completing my biology degree.
Here are my stats:
Extracurriculars: Officer of an organization for 2 years, member of other organizations on campus
Pharmacy Experience: Pharmacy Technician at a hospital for 3 months, plan to work throughout my college career
Research: plan to work as an undergraduate assistant in a professor's research lab next semester
I feel that the only thing that would hold me back is my GPA. I hope to raise it in the next year, however, I am not sure if it would make a huge difference. Please let me know if you think I have a good chance when I apply next year. Thanks!

Raise your GPA as much as possible and do extremely well on PCAT.

It's really hard to say how your chances are because it all depends on that years applicant pool. If you can do really well on the PCAT that will help balance out your GPA. I think you should probably try to do really well in your classes to get your GPA up and then try to ace the PCAT. All of your extracurriculars will help and the pharmacy/research experience will be a plus too.

Good luck.

atxpharmstdnt said:
Hey everyone,

Here are my stats:

I think you should be fine, especially with having a degree. Raise your GPA and score well on the PCAT. If I were you, I'd take the PCAT in March or June of 2005, that way you can retake it in June/October if you need to. I think it's better to have your PCAT scores sent to the school(s) when you apply, so that the application is more complete. Hope this helps. :luck: