Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blue88

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, I have posted here several times but I really just read the messages.

I am starting the application process but I still have some questions. I don't really have anyone to discuss these things with because no one that I know is applying to pharmacy or anything similar. So thats why I came here for some advice.

I currently attend a large state school in New York. I think this was my first mistake... anyway, I kind of blew it with my grades which is obviously totally my fault and I wish I could go back and change things right now. It's not like I failed anything... I just had average grades (mostly B's and C's). The problem with that is that pharmacy schools want above average. Looking back, I should have gone to a smaller school but I could only afford to go to a state school right now so I had no choice. I also had to work full time during school in order to be able to pay for it. I am not looking for sympathy and I realize lots of people have to do this and get better grades... it's just a reason for my average grades I guess. I should have worked a little less and studied a little more, but hindsight is 20/20 of course. It's just that, no matter how much or how hard I worked for school, I never could break the "average" mark. I was in classes with 900 other people and I am no genius but B's and C's don't look very good anymore.

I have about a 3.0 average in both science and non-science. A few extra curricular (crew team, club lax team, year book, newspaper). I have also worked in a pharmacy for 4 years now... 3 years as a certified tech. I should have 3 really good LOR's. One from my lab supervisor because I was a TA for an organic chem lab, one from my pharmacy supervisor and one from a staff pharmacist. The two from the pharmacists should be really really good because I have earned respect from them and they really appreciate the work I do for them. Right now my downfall... other than my GPA (ugh) is my 64 PCAT score (yuck!). It sucks, I know. I took it for the third time in June and it only increased by 5 points. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I seriously prepared for this test so much. I am not a good test taker but I don't know how to change that.

Anyway, here are is the list of schools I am applying to:

Howard University
Nova Southeastern University
Palm Beach Atlantic University
Campbell University
Wingate University
Long Island University
LECOM Erie School of Pharmacy
Temple University
Shenandoah University
University of Appalachia
University of Charleston
Touro (NY... if they open)

I plan on submitting my PharmCAS this week and hopefully all my LOR's should be in soon after. I am applying early enough? Do I stand a chance at these schools? or at all? I don't know if I should attempt the PCAT again for August... or just wait until October. If anyone has any advice or words of encouragement I would appreciate them. I am just super frustrated right now and pharmacy school is starting to look impossible...

The odds are certainly against you...make sure you're doing things to prepare yourself for an interview in case you're invited to a couple...you really need to shine in an interview. I really don't know a bunch about east coast schools to be honest with you, but you should probably retake some of your core science classes and raise that GPA. Good luck.

You definintely need to retake the PCAT. If you think you will do better on the October PCAT, then take it in October. You need to do well on the PCAT sop study hard and have that be your main focus until after you take it. Also, I would apply to newer pharmacy schools. You definitely have a chance but need to raise your PCAT score. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
I believe that if you are working, then going to a CC from a 4 year is no biggie. For me, it is impossible to find a 4-year school that works with any possibility of working FT.

You might want to take out LECOM and CAMPBELL and add Midwestern Chicago. Just a suggestion to save you some money hehe

Retake the PCAT in August, but of course you should have applied by now.:) Check out the PCAT forum for advice for improving your scores too.

Right now, your two big stats (GPA and PCAT) are below average. You need a distinctive fall semester and PCAT to take that edge off a little. Otherwise, the rest of your application and the timing of application submission is fine.