Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bballgirl11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm unsure of what to do next in my life, it all began when I didn't do so well on my MCAT then I decided to take it again and unfortunately my computer crashed during my exam and my complaint was regarded as a matter than wasn't of huge significance. So now I have a job doing research that requires a 2 yr. committment, yet I don't know if I should just ride this out and take the MCAT in 09 for '10 admission or just take it again in Jan. then I'll have a score no matter what I do as far applying for '09 or '10. Any advice, since I will be taking it for the third time?

Members don't see this ad.

if medicine is something you are completely committed to doing i would retake it as soon as you are able...as long as you are ready to take it...if you could use the research position as a fall-back option that never hurts...especially when you are applying to schools...research exp. is particularly attractive to some institutions...

charge hard,
anthony
...not on my watch...
persistance is the cure for stubborness.

I'm unsure of what to do next in my life, it all began when I didn't do so well on my MCAT then I decided to take it again and unfortunately my computer crashed during my exam and my complaint was regarded as a matter than wasn't of huge significance. So now I have a job doing research that requires a 2 yr. committment, yet I don't know if I should just ride this out and take the MCAT in 09 for '10 admission or just take it again in Jan. then I'll have a score no matter what I do as far applying for '09 or '10. Any advice, since I will be taking it for the third time?

What does this mean? Did they offer you another test date? Or did you just cancel the score?

Seems to me that if you were prepared for this last exam, you would not want to simply wait another year or so before taking the exam again...

Strange...

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are ready to take it, then take it as soon as you can.
Only take it again if you are confident you can score well. Another bad score would only hurt your future chances. Do a search on these forums for MCAT prep if you are not sure, as this has been discussed at length.

Thanks so much for those that responded to my post...I meant that my computer crashed during the MCAT last May and I lost over 40 minutes that I couldn't get back as well as the computers wouldn't log us in so I started the test later than planned. I complained to the test site and nothing could be done, I studied my butt off and unfortunately my score wasn't what I wanted.

Thanks so much for those that responded to my post...I meant that my computer crashed during the MCAT last May and I lost over 40 minutes that I couldn't get back as well as the computers wouldn't log us in so I started the test later than planned. I complained to the test site and nothing could be done, I studied my butt off and unfortunately my score wasn't what I wanted.

Wait a minute.

You lost forty minutes of your test time (as in you had to finish a section in 1/2 the time) or the computers crashed and you had to start the test or a section forty minutes later than you anticipated?

If it's the fomer, I can't imagine AMCAS simply brushing it off or letting it fly. I felt like I was in a well oiled machine when I walked into my Thompson Prometric site. Did you not have a chance to void your scores? You should seriously run this up the flag pole.

If it's the latter, not to be mean, but that really just sounds like an excuse. What does it matter if you started the test or a section forty minutes late?

At any rate, if you want to go to med school, you should retake the MCAT as soon as you feel ready. You might be in trouble for this cycle since most schools won't consider MCATs past September.

???

You have had 2 shots at explaining what happened, and I am still totally confused...you have a serious communications problem, sweetie...good luck with all of that...

???

You have had 2 shots at explaining what happened, and I am still totally confused...you have a serious communications problem, sweetie...good luck with all of that...

I have a really hard time believing that Thompson Prometric would just say "tough luck" to a student who lost forty minutes of test time. There is no way someone could be expected to do well on a section in less than half of the time required to take it.

I really don't see how any scores would be released under those circumstances and the test taker wouldn't be refunded and/or given another date to test on.

Before we started the test, the computers wouldn't log me in because the computer system froze, when asked if this happened to the previous group of students, I was told that this was a first and if the computer didn't work I couldn't take my test and would have to reschedule. After waiting I was logged in but I started twenty minutes later than planned and we had a set schedule because another group was up next. Next,as I entered my answer the computer crashed and I had to leave the testing area for twenty minutes while the proctor called the help-line. Then after that was settled I was allowed back to where my computer left off, but the time allotted wasn't adjusted and I asked if there was anything that could be done to give me back the time that was docked from the original time and the proctor said "No, that they didn't know what to do for me." So I filed a complaint yet I was told that I had only five days for them to receive my complaint from the test date...it's a really long story and I'm determined to succeed so there's no point of crying over spilled milk.

Before we started the test, the computers wouldn't log me in because the computer system froze, when asked if this happened to the previous group of students, I was told that this was a first and if the computer didn't work I couldn't take my test and would have to reschedule. After waiting I was logged in but I started twenty minutes later than planned and we had a set schedule because another group was up next. Next,as I entered my answer the computer crashed and I had to leave the testing area for twenty minutes while the proctor called the help-line. Then after that was settled I was allowed back to where my computer left off, but the time allotted wasn't adjusted and I asked if there was anything that could be done to give me back the time that was docked from the original time and the proctor said "No, that they didn't know what to do for me." So I filed a complaint yet I was told that I had only five days for them to receive my complaint from the test date...it's a really long story and I'm determined to succeed so there's no point of crying over spilled milk.

Whether the test company admits fault or not, you had the right to cancel the scoring of the exam and should have done so, and then you could "file a complaint" and pursue your rights to a rescheduled exam at their expense...worst case would be that you cancel the score and sign up for another test at your expense which would have been a far better choice than putting up with the nonsense you encountered...

I guess what is done is done. If I where you, I'd keep pursuing it. In a situation like this, you should be able to get your score voided and your money refunded. I'd try and deal with both Thompson Prometric and the AMCAS. If what you described is what happened, then there is no excuse and they shouldn't be able to just tell you "sorry". You paid for that and have expectations of reasonable performance by the company. You might want to threaten litigation.

Either, way, you are are screwed for this cycle (unless you are applying to a school that takes the JAN MCAT). If I were you, I'd reschedule for the April MCAT. If you are going to be forced to apply next cycle anyways, you might as well get the extra studying time in.

One thing I'd be careful of is losing sight of your goal, lest you wind up like me (and I'm sure others) who didn't get a first try acceptance, wandered a bit, and are now figuring out how the heck to get back to med school given all the other things that will happen in the interim (job stuff- especially relative success in other fields as this complicates things substantially in terms of the lifestyle you might get accustomed to, marriage, kids, etc). It gets harder and harder the further you get from school IMO.

The research job's "2 year commitment" is almost never going to be an actual contract- they just don't want to have to train a new technician/assistant/whatever every year and want to have committed staff. So it's really a question of ethics (agreeing to a time period you have no intention of keeping to if things bounce your way next time you take the MCAT). Personally, I don't think it's such a terrible thing to do if you're going to work hard for them for however long you're there especially given the criminally low wages you're likely to get in an entry lab position in academia (I made $26k/year in my first job out of school back in 2000). I'm sure others may disagree with me (perhaps vehemently), but I wouldn't over-emphasize the "commitment" issue.