Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JRK9233

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am somewhat new to this forum and I hope that I am considered a non-traditional student. I am only 23 right now, but I just started my undergraduate degree. I spent 4 years in the Marine Corps after high school and about 2 years ago I got married and now we have a 6 month old daughter. While I was in the Marine Corps I took some night school classes, mostly liberal arts classes and I also had a few classes prior to going into the Marine Corps. I just got out of the Marines in January and me and my family (after a lot of struggling trying to get paperwork from the military) we just got settled in our own place a few weeks ago. I got into doing some volunteer work at a hospital near where I live and I also have a few opportunities to do some shadowing.
Basically, what I'm asking is what more should I be doing? I don't have a ton of time to spend on volunteering but I also understand that a lot of Medical Schools want to also see non-medical volunteering. I'm using the GI Bill which provides me with a housing allowance so I don't work, but when I am not at school I am taking care of my daughter because my wife works full time. Really, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I guess I am just already stressing about not having enough ECs because of family.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel you. Life happens. Most kids have not had the opportunity to experience life in the way you have. So many EC's (this is only conjecture and in no way authoritative) that these kiddos participate in simulate what you have already experienced and continue to do so. I would concentrate more on crushing your grades than anything else. I'm in a similar situation but even more exacerbated. It sounds like you have a solid foundation. A good plan. God speed.