Advise for retaking Organic Chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ChaunceyGardner

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I know that this question is a popular topic, and I have read through others' posts about it. Nonetheless, I wanted to ask for some advise that is more specific to my situation. Also, I apologize if this question has not been posted in the ideal location.

I am a Junior now and failed OChem I in the Fall semester of my Sophomore year. I had some difficult things going on in my personal life at the time, but thankfully I have gotten past that and my grades have been improving ever since. It remains my only grade below a B. My school will not replace the grade; they will only show both grades if reattempted.

Now, I feel that I am ready to try again. I want to complete both semesters of OChem with lab this upcoming summer. Here is my predicament: I know that it would be best for me to retake OChem I at my school. Although the thought of retaking that class is vaguely terrifying, I am willing to suck it up to take ownership of my mistakes and demonstrate improvement.

However
... my school's summer program is extremely expensive. I am on a full scholarship and am fortunate enough to have no student loans so far. Each semester of Organic plus lab at my school would cost about $5,000. That means that I would definitely have to take out a loan to do this -- which, again, I am willing to do.

Does anyone have thoughts on whether or not it would be worth it to spend so much money on this? I have also looked into a state school in the area that would be just over $3,000 for BOTH semesters with lab. I could probably afford that on my own. I am also confident that I would have a much easier time at the state school. Would medical schools frown on me retaking the course elsewhere? If so, how big of a difference do you think it would make? And finally, what if I were to take OChem I at my school and then switch to OChem II at the state school --- could that possibly be a good compromise, or is it best to complete both at the same place?

THANK YOU in advance for your advise.
 
I have no opinion from a financial but only from a difficulty aspect. I took organic chemistry I and II over 10 weeks during the summer (~5 weeks each). Reflecting on that experience, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It's a lot of information to cram in such a short period and it is difficult to do well, even with devoting a lot of time to the subject. Granted, I was a first time taker, and you are not, but I still don't think it's a good idea. If you're extremely confident in your abilities, then go for it I guess. Just realize - you will be doing organic for 4-5 weeks straight with time for little else. At my university, we had 2.5 hours of class M-Th, 4 hours of lab Tu/Th, and an exam every Monday/quiz every Friday. It was truly a nightmare. I only did it because I had no other choices. If you have the option to just take it during the regular semester, do that!

Whatever you choose, good luck!
 
Thank you both for your replies -- they were helpful.

I agree that taking Orgo over the summer would be challenging, and perhaps a mistake. However, there are many drawbacks to taking it during the regular academic year. First, I am completing a combined BS/MS program (in 4 years) and need to get up to a certain number of general university credits in order to complete this. This means that I will have to take about 20-22 credits in the next two semesters (which is what I've been doing for the past two). I was really looking forward to taking classes that interested me next year, including Physiology, Immunology, Comparative Vert Anatomy, and perhaps Medicinal Enzymology. Were I to take Orgo, I think I may have to simplify my schedule a bit, which would be logistically challenging. in

Another complication is that I still need to take Physics as well. I was expecting to take Physics and biochemistry after graduation, since they are not required for my majors. I suppose another option would be to save OChem as well and complete all of these in an informal, rigorous postbach... I don't know. My situation is obviously in the weeds and I know nobody has all the answers. I still really appreciate the advise, though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you both for your replies -- they were helpful.

I agree that taking Orgo over the summer would be challenging, and perhaps a mistake. However, there are many drawbacks to taking it during the regular academic year. First, I am completing a combined BS/MS program (in 4 years) and need to get up to a certain number of general university credits in order to complete this. This means that I will have to take about 20-22 credits in the next two semesters (which is what I've been doing for the past two). I was really looking forward to taking classes that interested me next year, including Physiology, Immunology, Comparative Vert Anatomy, and perhaps Medicinal Enzymology. Were I to take Orgo, I think I may have to simplify my schedule a bit, which would be logistically challenging. in

Another complication is that I still need to take Physics as well. I was expecting to take Physics and biochemistry after graduation, since they are not required for my majors. I suppose another option would be to save OChem as well and complete all of these in an informal, rigorous postbach... I don't know. My situation is obviously in the weeds and I know nobody has all the answers. I still really appreciate the advise, though.

PM'd you
 
If it takes longer than 4 years for you to finish your degree, that is perfectly okay! Good Grades>>>>> the perfect timeline I agree that taking it during the regular semester is the best option.
 
Hello everyone,

I know that this question is a popular topic, and I have read through others' posts about it. Nonetheless, I wanted to ask for some advise that is more specific to my situation. Also, I apologize if this question has not been posted in the ideal location.

I am a Junior now and failed OChem I in the Fall semester of my Sophomore year. I had some difficult things going on in my personal life at the time, but thankfully I have gotten past that and my grades have been improving ever since. It remains my only grade below a B. My school will not replace the grade; they will only show both grades if reattempted.

Now, I feel that I am ready to try again. I want to complete both semesters of OChem with lab this upcoming summer. Here is my predicament: I know that it would be best for me to retake OChem I at my school. Although the thought of retaking that class is vaguely terrifying, I am willing to suck it up to take ownership of my mistakes and demonstrate improvement.

However
... my school's summer program is extremely expensive. I am on a full scholarship and am fortunate enough to have no student loans so far. Each semester of Organic plus lab at my school would cost about $5,000. That means that I would definitely have to take out a loan to do this -- which, again, I am willing to do.

Does anyone have thoughts on whether or not it would be worth it to spend so much money on this? I have also looked into a state school in the area that would be just over $3,000 for BOTH semesters with lab. I could probably afford that on my own. I am also confident that I would have a much easier time at the state school. Would medical schools frown on me retaking the course elsewhere? If so, how big of a difference do you think it would make? And finally, what if I were to take OChem I at my school and then switch to OChem II at the state school --- could that possibly be a good compromise, or is it best to complete both at the same place?

THANK YOU in advance for your advise.

Find somewhere that is a 4 year institution and where Orgo is an easy A over the summer 😉 take it there.



Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile