advise needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strugglemd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Would you guys give me advises on what I should do with this situation?

I didn't do well in undergrad. However, I was able to get straight A's the last 2 years of college. I applied to the Georgetown SMP program last year. I was wait-listed and didn't get in days before orientation. I was told it was because of my GRE scores. I haven't taken then MCAT.

I decided to do a 1 year post-bac program this year and retaking the GRE. My grades so far in this program is a B, B, and C. It looks like I will end up with a B, B, and C again.

I contacted the head of the SMP program over a month ago and went over my potential application for this year class. I was told to send in one new letter of recommendation and new GRE scores. I was also told that with my high GRE scores (750, 700 and 5), I should have no problems of gaining admission this year. However, I did not disclose that I'm currently in a post-bac program and doing not so great in it (it's a long story of why this is the case).

What would you do in my situation? Would you go ahead and reapply with out indication of the current program grades or send in the new grades and most likely get rejected due to the poor trend? Would schools ever find out your classes if you don't disclose it?

Please advise. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi and welcome to SDN,

This is a hard one. Do you know why you are struggling in the post bac program? Why did you decide to do the post bac program? Was it to increase your GPA for applying to med school? I assume that is your ultimate goal, so just keep in mind you will have to disclose all grades when applying.

I don't know about the rules for the SMP program. Do they ask you for any and all transcripts when applying or upon matriculation? If they do, then you have to disclose any and all grades. I guess if they don't ask for them when you apply, then you don't have to give them to them.

Schools can find out about things, so there is a huge danger in trying to hide things from them. It is not a good idea to even try it. I think it is going to be an uphill battle for you now and for when you apply to med school. Those grades will show up then also. I think if you get into this program you are really going to have to get a bunch of A's to make up for the below 3.0 that you now have in your post-bac program. It is rough, but if you can show them an improving upward trend, then that would really help you.

As to now, unless they ask for it, you don't have to give it to them. But if they ask for it, then you unfortunetly have to let them know. Perhaps if yu wrote a letter to them and explain why you were having a difficult time, maybe they would overlook it.

Good luck.