Advise needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MKE17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This will be my first post to this forum, ever. Nervous but I really do need some advise.

To timeline this, I graduated in 2017 with my undergraduate in Kinesiology. I was on the physical therapy fast track. First generation student. cGPA of 3.088 sGPA I haven’t even calculated yet due to some classes missing - Ochem 1 and 2 with lab, and biochemistry. If I had to say, the last time I check my sGPA without those courses it was a 3.0. My last coupe semesters showed an upward trend. Right before graduation, I did not know if I wanted to apply right away just because I didn’t really know if PT was something I wanted to pursue. So I put off the GRE/MCAT. After graduation, May 2017, I got a job as a Rehab assistant. Worked for about one year until 8/2018. I didn’t like my experience so I decided to drop the PT career path. Do note, in 6/2018, I was pulled over for a first offense OWI while driving from the reception of a wedding back to the hotel which was only a few blocks driving. Which is still pending at this time. This had to be one of the hardest things I’ve ever gone through. I have beat myself up on numerous of occasions because I knew better and I decided to make a poor decision. But at the end of the day, I had done it and was driving while impaired. I don’t drink much at all, not even during my undergraduate years. But alright, fast forward two months to 8/2018. I had went overseas as a medical volunteer in Peru, which transpired this path to medicine. I had return back to the states in 9/2018 and started some post-bac classes. Then I decided to take 1/2019 until now off of school just to reflect on myself and my actions. In all likely hood, I believe DO school is a better fit for me. I have also just recently been looking into SMP’s and just visited one school in Boston. I am also considering doing a MPH. So my first couple questions are, is it worth doing a SMP? Or do I continue taking higher level science courses and to retake any courses that are passed the five to seven year mark? But during this time off, I am a medical scribe in cardiology.

Another dilemma, just a couple of months ago, I did get pulled over for speeding (20 mph over) and 6 points. I paid the fine and what not. I got the speeding ticket because I was running late for work and I am one of those individuals who will freak out if I am running late. Overall, I was speeding that’s just the fact of it and I know I probably shouldn’t have because I was already late. Moving on, I get a letter in the mail from the DMV saying that I have accumulated 9 points (that speeding ticket - 6 points and another traffic volition that happened in 2018 - 3 points) and in the state of WI we get up to 12 points before our drivers license is suspended for two months for anything that has happened in the past one year. We can get rid of the three points now. I have six points. So, back tracking to my first offense OWI back in 6/2018 which is still pending. It will be resolved in 11/2019 which will put me in the bracket at 12 points which I will lose my drivers license for two months. How will this affect me moving forward in applying to DO schools in about 1-2 years or even to SMP’s? Or even to get licensed as a DO? Or residency?

I know medicine is something I want to do and having time off to work and gain clinical experience made that decision happen. I just find myself back tracking once I find something good happening. Do I wait this process out to show programs growth and development? It won’t be for another 1-2 or even maybe 3 years before I even apply due to studying for the MCAT and taking courses.

Advise is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I am also considering doing a MPH. So my first couple questions are, is it worth doing a SMP? Or do I continue taking higher level science courses and to retake any courses that are passed the five to seven year mark?
Ditch the MPH cause that's not going to strengthen your application or proved to adcoms that you can handle the furnace that is medical school. Do a DIY post-bac where you can take upper-level biology classes. You don't need to waste your time retaking courses that are 5-7 years old. Take more upper-level sciences.
How will this affect me moving forward in applying to DO schools in about 1-2 years or even to SMP’s? Or even to get licensed as a DO? Or residency?
Not that serious. You can still become a doctor.

Ditch the MPH cause that's not going to strengthen your application or proved to adcoms that you can handle the furnace that is medical school. Do a DIY post-bac where you can take upper-level biology classes. You don't need to waste your time retaking courses that are 5-7 years old. Take more upper-level sciences.

Not that serious. You can still become a doctor.

Ehh, adcoms around here don’t take lightly to DUI’s. OP then proceded to get another infraction while driving (which may or may not be something that needs to be reported depending on your state, if it isn’t a misdemeanor in WI, OP is lucky, as repeat offenses raise eyebrows).

Will it keep OP out of med school? It isn’t one of those offenses that is an auto reject. That said, they will likely say they’ll want to see more time between offense and application.

OP, this won’t keep you from obtaining a license. Don’t make excuses either. Additionally, do not EVER say it was “only” a few blocks. You were drunk and you can cause a problem literally pulling out of a parking space. Same with the speeding ticket, being late isn’t an excuse. You just have to own that you did it and leave it at that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ehh, adcoms around here don’t take lightly to DUI’s. OP then proceded to get another infraction while driving (which may or may not be something that needs to be reported depending on your state, if it isn’t a misdemeanor in WI, OP is lucky, as repeat offenses raise eyebrows).

Will it keep OP out of med school? It isn’t one of those offenses that is an auto reject. That said, they will likely say they’ll want to see more time between offense and application.

OP, this won’t keep you from obtaining a license. Don’t make excuses either. Additionally, do not EVER say it was “only” a few blocks. You were drunk and you can cause a problem literally pulling out of a parking space. Same with the speeding ticket, being late isn’t an excuse. You just have to own that you did it and leave it at that.
I missed that piece of info in that wall of text. Thanks for catching that and educating me and others that might read this thread.

If you have a dui, you should be able to honestly say that you are now sober

This will be my first post to this forum, ever. Nervous but I really do need some advise.

To timeline this, I graduated in 2017 with my undergraduate in Kinesiology. I was on the physical therapy fast track. First generation student. cGPA of 3.088 sGPA I haven’t even calculated yet due to some classes missing - Ochem 1 and 2 with lab, and biochemistry. If I had to say, the last time I check my sGPA without those courses it was a 3.0. My last coupe semesters showed an upward trend. Right before graduation, I did not know if I wanted to apply right away just because I didn’t really know if PT was something I wanted to pursue. So I put off the GRE/MCAT. After graduation, May 2017, I got a job as a Rehab assistant. Worked for about one year until 8/2018. I didn’t like my experience so I decided to drop the PT career path. Do note, in 6/2018, I was pulled over for a first offense OWI while driving from the reception of a wedding back to the hotel which was only a few blocks driving. Which is still pending at this time. This had to be one of the hardest things I’ve ever gone through. I have beat myself up on numerous of occasions because I knew better and I decided to make a poor decision. But at the end of the day, I had done it and was driving while impaired. I don’t drink much at all, not even during my undergraduate years. But alright, fast forward two months to 8/2018. I had went overseas as a medical volunteer in Peru, which transpired this path to medicine. I had return back to the states in 9/2018 and started some post-bac classes. Then I decided to take 1/2019 until now off of school just to reflect on myself and my actions. In all likely hood, I believe DO school is a better fit for me. I have also just recently been looking into SMP’s and just visited one school in Boston. I am also considering doing a MPH. So my first couple questions are, is it worth doing a SMP? Or do I continue taking higher level science courses and to retake any courses that are passed the five to seven year mark? But during this time off, I am a medical scribe in cardiology.

Another dilemma, just a couple of months ago, I did get pulled over for speeding (20 mph over) and 6 points. I paid the fine and what not. I got the speeding ticket because I was running late for work and I am one of those individuals who will freak out if I am running late. Overall, I was speeding that’s just the fact of it and I know I probably shouldn’t have because I was already late. Moving on, I get a letter in the mail from the DMV saying that I have accumulated 9 points (that speeding ticket - 6 points and another traffic volition that happened in 2018 - 3 points) and in the state of WI we get up to 12 points before our drivers license is suspended for two months for anything that has happened in the past one year. We can get rid of the three points now. I have six points. So, back tracking to my first offense OWI back in 6/2018 which is still pending. It will be resolved in 11/2019 which will put me in the bracket at 12 points which I will lose my drivers license for two months. How will this affect me moving forward in applying to DO schools in about 1-2 years or even to SMP’s? Or even to get licensed as a DO? Or residency?

I know medicine is something I want to do and having time off to work and gain clinical experience made that decision happen. I just find myself back tracking once I find something good happening. Do I wait this process out to show programs growth and development? It won’t be for another 1-2 or even maybe 3 years before I even apply due to studying for the MCAT and taking courses.

Your GPA is circling the drain for DO schools, so unless you wish to only target the newest schools, I suggest doing a DIY post-bac or SMP.

Your driving record won't be an issue, but your excuses and mindset are. You don't like to be late? Well, leave home earlier. So, what I'm saying is, stop making excuses and start taking some responsibility in your life.

Read this:

cGPA of 3.088 sGPA. sGPA 3.0.

Do note, in 6/2018, I was pulled over for a first offense OWI ... went overseas as a medical volunteer in Peru, ... post-bac classes ... considering doing a MPH. So my first couple questions are, is it worth doing a SMP? Or do I continue taking higher level science courses and to retake any courses that are passed the five to seven year mark? But during this time off, I am a medical scribe in cardiology.

... pulled over for speeding (20 mph over) and 6 points.... OWI back in 6/2018 which is still pending. It ... I will lose my drivers license ... How will this affect me moving forward in applying to DO schools in about 1-2 years or even to SMP’s? Or even to get licensed as a DO? Or residency?

To be honest here: Your GPA is low for both cGPA and sGPA.

Your OWI is recent and was followed by subsequent tickets (20 over isn't a mistake) that paints the picture of continuous, recent & reckless poor decision making. DO schools have lower academic standards (at new schools) but NOT lower ethical standards.

Like Goro said, the later driving issues aren't a problem on their own but the mindset/pattern you've presented here is. If you are honest with your application -- and you should be -- I don't see you being competitive against the thousands of other students competing for those seats with higher GPA, MCAT and not OWI with subsequent legal issues. If you choose to lie on an application it will end your career with hundreds of thousands in debt and no physician employment opportunities. It may be time to put your effort into another passion/direction