Advise needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fifo

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am a new member to this forum. Here is the situation. I am currently employed in the IT industry. My life long dream has always been to become a doctor. While earning my BS in computer science back in my undergrad days, I started taking some pre-med courses as well. I never completed all the courses b/c my schedule was becoming really tight and I needed to graduate and start making money to support my family.

Anyway, after working for 3.5 years in this IT industry, I now realize more than ever that I want to pursue my dream of becoming a doctor. To complete my pre-med requirements, I am thinking about enrolling at local community college and taking OrganicI/II both with labs and bioII/lab. First question is, does taking those classes at a Community college play a role in the decision of med schools? The second question is that it's been about 4 years since I last took a chemistry course. What is some of you guys' opinion on Organic chemistry? I am wondering if I need to re-take chem 2 or something just to refresh. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

hey fifo-- welcome to SDN!!

about gen chem... you don't need a refresher in gen chem to be prepared for orgo, but you might want to look at the policies of the schools your interested in...some schools want you to have had all your pre-reqs fulfilled within the last 5 years. not all schools are like this.

if i were you, i would do my darndest to take the classes at a 4-year college. yes, CCs are usually easier to find and cheaper, but some schools (wake forest, for example) won't accept pre-req courses from a CC. it's different if you transfer FROM a CC to a 4-yr institution, but for you i would definetly try to take the classes at a 4-yr college.

when are you looking to apply? best of luck, and welcome again! :clap: :clap: