Advise Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kflow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for some advice. I’m finishing up my active duty commissioned service in the Army at the end of the year, and I’ve been trying to take my prerequisites for medical school along the way. By spring next year I will have all the minimum courses done, plus one upper level biology course. I’m trying to figure out if I should take the MCAT next summer and apply or wait and take more upper level science courses. My GPA right now is 3.513 and sGPA is 3.480. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is just fine, so take the MCAT if you think you can score 26 or better. Spend time studying for it, and take it as soon as you feel comfortable. There is no reason to do upper level science courses unless you would enjoy them. Make sure you have done shadowing and all of that extracurricular stuff too. Take the MCAT during summer, submit your primary AACOMAS app as soon as it opens, and send the MCAT scores as soon as you get them. The sooner you get in, the sooner you will be a doctor, so don't put it off any longer than you have to.

I am assuming you will have graduated with you bachelors or already have?

Typically these sorts of questions don't get answered since this information is very easily found, but most people posting aren't active duty and have more than enough time to sift through the forum for the answers.

With your gpa and military history, you should be a candidate for a number of schools, but your MCAT and personal statements/interviews will determine everything. If you got good grades and really understood the material in your chemistry and physics classes, and you have a good grasp on mendelian genetics, renal system and PTH/calcitonin feedback, and have time to brush up with a Kaplan course, I would say take it now and see how you do. You can always re-take. Shoot for a winter MCAT and then if you don't score a 28 or better, plan to evaluate your weaknesses and do a re-take in June. You will have a better understanding of your weak areas after evaluating scores on your practice tests.

Did you take classes through UMUC by chance? I went to the Mannheim, Germany campus for my first 3 semesters. Just wondering, no real point to that question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a lot of info from the OP so I'll assume nothing...

Make sure you have enough to time to do extra required classes for specific schools (biochem, genetics, social sciences, whatever your prospective schools require - some may require none) before matriculation.

I don't know how your free time is with active duty but make sure you have quality LORs, preferably one from a DO.

I graduated from BYU with a BS in Polisci. I've been doing my prereqs at the University of South Carolina. Being on active duty and taking classes I haven't been able to do much else. I did live in Russia for 2 years before the Army. This summer I'll be volunteering at a free medical clinic, but only one evening a month. Plus, I have a wife and son. Its been a busy few years, but it will be worth it! I'm just trying to plan out the next year because there isn't much time for error.

If you can do well on the MCAT, I don't see any reason to wait. That would be just a waste year of physician income.