Advisor: Weak Work Load???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mipp0

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh wise SDF gurus,

I spoke to my pre-med adviser several moons ago, and he gave my transcript two thumbs up, but a thumbs down for workload. On average, I have taken only 12 units (average) worth of classes for about 3 years now. I am a senior now, and plan to up that to 16 units for winter quarter.

In my defense, I am loaded with ECs- I am a founder/president of a growing service-based club, clothing designer (profits go to combating sex slavery, etc.), amateur advertisement designer (rock-climbing company; hopefully they will like what they see this winter :thumbup:), shadowing, internship, volunteer bio/chem/biochem tutor, among others.

I don't think I can ratchet up my units w/o either compromising my grades or losing an EC (NOOOO!!!). Should I heed his warning and enroll for 4-5 classes, or do what makes me happy and stay loaded on ECs?

Any input (*cough*Mobius?*cough*) from any member would be awesome possum.

Thanks,
Mipp0

P.S. Yes, I did use the "Search" function...

Members don't see this ad.

(Smiles)
In my experience, your advisor is right. Adcomms like to see that you can handle a heavy load and still succeed academically. But all of the load doesn't have to be academic. The best example of this is in a student who has a job with substantial hours (20-40 hours). Competitive sports participants are another example. And heavy involvement in humanistic endeavors is a third. In a way, you have multiple non-paid jobs that need to be done, and you've taken on the responsibility to see that they are accomplished. It would be nice, if you could delegate some of the tasks for a quarter (leaders get to do that) and show adcomms you can carry a heavier load academically, but if you can't do this and still get great grades, you'd only be sabotaging your future application. Getting As must always remain your first priority. If your Primary application reflects how involved you are (list hours/week), I doubt there will be much of an issue over taking 12 units at a time.

How many hours/week do all your other activities average out to?

Last edited:
Oh wise SDF gurus,

I spoke to my pre-med adviser several moons ago, and he gave my transcript two thumbs up, but a thumbs down for workload. On average, I have taken only 12 units (average) worth of classes for about 3 years now. I am a senior now, and plan to up that to 16 units for winter quarter.

In my defense, I am loaded with ECs- I am a founder/president of a growing service-based club, clothing designer (profits go to combating sex slavery, etc.), amateur advertisement designer (rock-climbing company; hopefully they will like what they see this winter :thumbup:), shadowing, internship, volunteer bio/chem/biochem tutor, among others.

I don't think I can ratchet up my units w/o either compromising my grades or losing an EC (NOOOO!!!). Should I heed his warning and enroll for 4-5 classes, or do what makes me happy and stay loaded on ECs?

Any input (*cough*Mobius?*cough*) from any member would be awesome possum.

Thanks,
Mipp0

P.S. Yes, I did use the "Search" function...

12 credits a term isn't much considering that the average medical student takes roughly 30 undergraduate equivalent credits during the same time. ECs are nice but they don't necessarily win out. Medical schools are teaching institutions and while they want to attract well rounded people (hence why they want ECs) their primary goal is to train doctors.