AECOM v. Georgetown v. Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Why would you choose one over the other?:oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you choose one over the other?:oops:

i would solely go with which team has a better atheletic program. go hoyas!

Don't know anything about rochester but I loved both Georgetown and AECOM. Here are my thoughts on both schools:

AE
Pros:
Great reputation
Really friendly students
Amazing clinical opportunities
Cheap housing
P/F first two years
Short train ride to Manhatten
Anatomy lab with windows!

Cons:
in Bronx (not necessarily that bad, but it isn't Manhatten)

Georgetown:

Pros:
Strong Clinical & ethical focus
Georgetown campus and neighborhood is beautiful

Cons:
Expensive to live nearby
I've heard that it can be competitive (not sure how true this is)
Not the best facilities, though not as bad as people sometimes say on SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rochester has pretty amazing facilities, great research opportunities, and early clinical experience. I also got the impression that the students there were pretty happy. Housing in Rochester is also incredibly inexpensive and will definitely be way less than housing in DC or NYC.

Housing in Rochester is also incredibly inexpensive and will definitely be way less than housing in DC or NYC.

I doubt it'll be cheaper than AE, it's only like $250 a month for their apartments

housing at aecom is cheap, but it's more around $350, that being said, comparing what you're paying for housing to what you're paying for medical school itself, it's not like it's too significant. Either way, I'd say Georgetown has the best rep., they all have good facilities and good research, georgetown probably has the best location, other then that, check out their match and board stats, that'll give you a clue.

housing at aecom is cheap, but it's more around $350, that being said, comparing what you're paying for housing to what you're paying for medical school itself, it's not like it's too significant. Either way, I'd say Georgetown has the best rep., they all have good facilities and good research, georgetown probably has the best location, other then that, check out their match and board stats, that'll give you a clue.

where can you get access to georgetown's match and board stats?

I was pretty blown away by Rochester. Their curriculum, approach to medical education, support of their students, research opportunities (both at the med school and self-designed), international opps, etc. are pretty much exactly what I want in a medical school. The students and faculty seemed to have a great relationship with one another and the students seem really happy and balanced. And pass/fail is really pass or fail. None of the honors, high pass, near high pass, pass stuff that others propose. If the medical school were in my home town I'd be done looking. One of the interviewers was the coordinator of the international opportunities/volunteer programs and she stressed how supportive the students were of one another, the staff and faculty of the students and vice versa. So it seems they want their students to stay human and not become these competitive grade-seeking medical people that can't collaborate.

Rochester is a great school.

I'd go with the school dishing out the best aid package (before loans). :thumbup:

AECOM > Georgetown

Don't know enough about Rochester other than people like it, and it's cold.

Hmmmm...anybody from the NY lake region know how much snow typically falls around Rochester?

Rochester usually doesn't get hit with snow as bad as say Buffalo, it's not really too bad, and it's really not that much colder than in nyc. It's a great school and a nice town. I'd go with Georgetown though, thats a great school and a great location.

Rochester usually doesn't get hit with snow as bad as say Buffalo, it's not really too bad, and it's really not that much colder than in nyc. It's a great school and a nice town. I'd go with Georgetown though, thats a great school and a great location.

Actually the snowfall is virtually identical Buffalo averages 91.1"/year while Rochester is 89.9". Of course during one year I lived there it snowed 160"!

I'm a Rochester Alum -- loved it. Only downside in my mind is the city, but there is enough to do there considering you are a medical student. Go there -- you will not be disappointed.

Ed

Which one is cheapest? Yeah, that one. Go to that one.

Bump...just curious what more people think of the above mentioned schools.:idea:

I think you will have a more diverse patient population in Albert Einstein. Probably more to do if you went to AE but you are in medical school so how much time will u have to experience the city anyways? Either way, all three of those schools are amazing!! Congrats!!!!!

Bump...just curious what more people think of the above mentioned schools.:idea:

I know folks at Rochester who think the school is awesome. It ranks high on my list (and I grew up under a palm tree).