AEGD/GPR no longer count as payback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tooth

Orthodontist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I just wanted to get a better idea of what people think about the AEGD/GPR not counting as payback for HPSP anymore. Also, any thoughts about being required to apply to them would be great.

It seems appropriate that there would be a decline in seniors accepting AEGD/GPR positions due to it not counting as payback. However, it also seems logical that requiring everyone to apply would increase the amount seniors accepting positions.

For those of you considering making a career out of the military, it appears to be a fantastic time to accept an AEGD because so many are backing out of it. For the duration of your career, it could be used to enhance your rank advancement and/or specialty acceptance.

However, it sure stinks to be the first year for it not to count.

So what are your thoughts on how this policy change will affect military politics, rank advancement, specialty acceptance, and overall quality of care?

Members don't see this ad.

From an Army standpoint, accepting the AEGD probably would increase you chances for residency acceptance because they know you have spent some time working in that specialty already. But on the other hand if you are planning to be a career officer as a general dentist, you would be far better off doing the 2 year AEGD, that gives you your residency and you can get your boards done earlier, which means more pay and ensures your promotion up to LTC if you don't get yourself into any trouble. The drawback to being a general dentist in the Army is you are far more likely to deploy or to deploy for longer.

It does suck that it doesn't count as payback because I would be very hesistant to extend my commitment before I know if I'm going to enjoy working in the Army.