AEGD Interview Nov 8 is approaching FAST-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AEGD Director

Dean Elledge DDS MS Wichita State AEGD
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone:
At our AEGD Program , we interview on Nov 8th. It is one our busiest days because we present to you. We show cases the residents have accomplished in their first few months. It gives you an idea ,what you will doing. It is important for you see the Wichita state AEGD culture . My goal is to have you say" the year in AEGD was the best year of my life".
I want you to question us.we have roundtable discussions where we get to know your goals and accomplishments.
We put a lot of effort in interview day, as we realize many of you have traveled and traveling is expensive . Our process is about a 5 hour event, You will meet many of the faculty,all the residents and all of the staff.

We are a multispecialty program. Learning is the key goal, as you need help with more than just speed.

I am a director that clinically works " shoulder to shoulder " with the residents, I love clinic.
I am just not an ADMIN director. ( I have outstanding managers for ADMIN!)

If you are reading this, I would welcome any questions you might have and my current residents can chat with you also.

DrE

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I thought I would chat a bit:
The young dentist needs the same skills that I need. Think about this , not long ago there were fixed prosthodontists and there were removable prosthodontists, Now, it seems that young dentists are largely trained by general dentists.

I was dual trained prosthodontists...however I would say I am second to someone who is totally fixed or removable.

In my program , I teach both fixed and removable at a higher level than dental school experiences. It is these experiences are what you that will make you efficient in making your daily production...not the sexy veneers or implants, that happen less frequently.

For instances the young dentists needs help with:
1:getting a sub g,bleeding? c & B impression- my residents learn how to be efficient because they learn technique instilled in my grad training- my residents can impression 5 teeth in a row or more w/o a void.
2: prepping a tooth in 5 min or less- I teach vertical depth guiding from the "90 sec crown technique" I cut a an MOD prep to start every full contour core- I learned this form an MAGD dentists in Kentucky ..not a prosthodontist
3: second molars are tough- but i have efficient ways to check any clearance using dimensional wax

4: how about making crowns to existing RPD's? I use the RPD as a " triple tray" ..very similar to adding a tooth to a existing rpd... this rarely happens in dental school ..however you will need to do the a few times a year for most. we teach how to do this in 1 impression not the 3 step ( two impressions and a bite)

5: our " Wichita State crown and bridge " bur block only has 6 burs- we are effecient- I discourage antiquated " box preps" margins are finished with forgiving 45 degree angle not 90.- learned this from Dr Bob Holms- prosthodontist in SC last I heard.
6: how to make a denture in 3 visits- yep...even with cosmetic changes..wax try in , is at visit 2. these are known in the prosth world as Celara ,autozones (Root Lab )or a Twin ( DSG lab) have similar but more explanation is needed.
7: my residents don't receive " red marks " on their c& B lab cases to indicate errors. our labs appreciate us,as we do them.
8: today we had a patient return with a dislodged cemented implant bridge bridge that had been off and GV was over margins,,,before I got my AEGD..i needed a periodontist or OS to alter the gums...Really? who could be more effecient than us. interesting to note..cemented bridges have a built in cement stress breaker to bruxism,
9: did a couple implants this week with one of the residents. One was an immediate extraction and one was very easy..about as hard as a MO filling. I teach a combo techique of flap and guide, then freehand placement.
The immediate was a max central with rather big root,it had several challenges ,but with graft filling the upper part of the socket it should be fine.
remember failure is about 5% at 5 year and 10% at 10 years, its all a repair.
10: my goal: to make the year in kansas the best year of your professional life..a year where your family comes up to me and says what an awesome person you were this year..that is my graduation goal.

Oh by the way: endo done with carriers, crowns with notches on xray, 2 or 3 impressions..these are ineffective.

I hope this help explain what my residency is about. The smiles come spontaneously.

DrE