AEGD, Specialize? What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeethRgreat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be finishing up dental school soon and I need to start looking into my options. Ideally, I should be applying to residencies at the end of this year/beginning of next year. I feel like I so far do not have enough experience to really make a good decision about what I want to do yet. For a while I was into ortho, then it switched to prosth, then endo, then OS, etc. I have the class rank to specialize, and part of me thinks that it might be a waste of a year to take it off and work, plus I might lose my momentum in academia.

This may not sound right to a lot of you, but part of me feels that I want to "use" my class rank for something. There has to be a reason why I have been killing myself over the past few years to be in the top of my class, and I feel like I may be "wasting" it if I do not. I have pondered all the different specialities in my head but can't get myself to commit to any of them: OS - I like it, but too much school, I'm burned out as is, Pediatrics - Not that comfortable around children, Endo - Too stressful, Perio - Possibly but have literally gotten no experience with it at my school, Ortho- not my gig. I am in dentistry mainly for the money... please don't lecture me about it. I have expensive hobbies that I enjoy and dentistry is one of the professions that can support them financially, and also it's something I can see myself doing every day (I don't love it, but I don't hate it either).

Does anyone have any suggestions or have been in a similar situation? I'm thinking about an AEGD, what are the most competitive ones and why? The advice is appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to be finishing up dental school soon and I need to start looking into my options. Ideally, I should be applying to residencies at the end of this year/beginning of next year. I feel like I so far do not have enough experience to really make a good decision about what I want to do yet. For a while I was into ortho, then it switched to prosth, then endo, then OS, etc. I have the class rank to specialize, and part of me thinks that it might be a waste of a year to take it off and work, plus I might lose my momentum in academia.

This may not sound right to a lot of you, but part of me feels that I want to "use" my class rank for something. There has to be a reason why I have been killing myself over the past few years to be in the top of my class, and I feel like I may be "wasting" it if I do not. I have pondered all the different specialities in my head but can't get myself to commit to any of them: OS - I like it, but too much school, I'm burned out as is, Pediatrics - Not that comfortable around children, Endo - Too stressful, Perio - Possibly but have literally gotten no experience with it at my school, Ortho- not my gig. I am in dentistry mainly for the money... please don't lecture me about it. I have expensive hobbies that I enjoy and dentistry is one of the professions that can support them financially, and also it's something I can see myself doing every day (I don't love it, but I don't hate it either).

Does anyone have any suggestions or have been in a similar situation? I'm thinking about an AEGD, what are the most competitive ones and why? The advice is appreciated, thanks!

I think you've lectured yourself enough already.

You know the score if you really stop and think.

The next phase is reversing the denial and admitting you've put yourself in a corner.

All of your options, including practicing as a GP with or without GPR/AEGD or specializing CAN get you great financial reward.

A good reason to specialize is because you CAN get that reward doing the aspect of dentistry that you enjoy. Certainly advanced training to get financial gain is a consideration, but if you hate what you're doing, it will make the training that much harder to stomach.

BL - Do what you want to do, not what you think is good for your pocket book.