Navy AEGD vs Credentialing Tour

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NavyDDS1990

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I'm a D4 still debating whether I should do AEGD or credentialing tour..
I was told that if I don't plan on making a career in the Navy, I should go for the credentialing tour and leave asap and also that you can learn just as much as residents, depending on the location and the director of the program.

As for the PGY-1, I prefer to be stationed in San Diego (2nd option would be great lakes), just because it's a good location to be. But I have also heard that Great Lakes Chicago is also very nice location to learn as a credentialer.

I would greatly appreciate any input in my decision making!
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I credentialed in 2015 and I will just ask are you planning on specializing? I would consider GPR over AEGD as it seems like they are better off imo. Plus you won't have to answer why you didn't do a PGY1 to the military or civilian if you do choose to specialize. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. A little about me, been in for 5 years, I did a credentialling tour at NMCP in Virginia, deployed on a carrier, and now finishing up my last shore tour before separating and specializing via civilian program.

Reactions: 1 user
I credentialed in 2015 and I will just ask are you planning on specializing? I would consider GPR over AEGD as it seems like they are better off imo. Plus you won't have to answer why you didn't do a PGY1 to the military or civilian if you do choose to specialize. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. A little about me, been in for 5 years, I did a credentialling tour at NMCP in Virginia, deployed on a carrier, and now finishing up my last shore tour before separating and specializing via civilian program.

Are you going to straight from the navy to your specialty or will there be a year gap between the navy and starting school again?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you going to straight from the navy to your specialty or will there be a year gap between the navy and starting school again?
Straight from the Navy. I wasnt going to leave a solid paycheck, tricare etc. unless I had a solid plan and civilian private practice as gen den was not desirable for me. The application cycle for the speciality I am going into interviews a year in advance.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,

I am in the same situation now. I am a D4 debating doing an AEGD or a credentialing tour. I went into school very open minded, but recently I have had a very strong interest in ortho (I always did since I was younger), and would consider specializing with a civilian program after if it’s what I really wanted to do. With that being said is it really worth doing an AEGD for me then? If I didn’t do ortho then I would most likely just stay a general dentist.

Also any recommendations for the best places to go for credentialing tour?

Thank you for your time and help!

Hello,

I am in the same situation now. I am a D4 debating doing an AEGD or a credentialing tour. I went into school very open minded, but recently I have had a very strong interest in ortho (I always did since I was younger), and would consider specializing with a civilian program after if it’s what I really wanted to do. With that being said is it really worth doing an AEGD for me then? If I didn’t do ortho then I would most likely just stay a general dentist.

Also any recommendations for the best places to go for credentialing tour?

Thank you for your time and help!

"I have a very strong interest in ortho" "...specializing with a civilian program after"

If this is truly how you feel, I would recommend doing the credentialing tour. You're free to apply to the military tri-service ortho residency, and if you are not selected, simply plan to complete your payback and get out while also applying to civilian programs. Overall this will minimize your time spent as a general dentist locked into the Navy.

If you have any interest in remaining in the Navy beyond your initial payback (or making it a career), then go for the AEGD.

As for where to go for your credentialing tour, these are usually limited to a select locations like "Camp Lejeune, NC; San Diego, CA; Portsmouth, VA, etc". Have you been given a list of options?

Okay thank you that is what I am starting to consider.

We haven’t received any information yet for anything… I think it will be coming in this next month!

If you can, do a credentialing tour where there is NOT an AEGD/ GPR. Less rotations and patient load to split up. More time in speciality clinics.

If you can, do a credentialing tour where there is NOT an AEGD/ GPR. Less rotations and patient load to split up. More time in speciality clinics.
I second this.

I’m doing a credentialing tour where is also an AEGD and they get to restore implants/do pros while everyone else (including O-3s/O-4s with time in service) are on the readiness assembly line (exams/operative)

That being said, once your aegd is done you’re no different from a LT who did a credentialing tour. You’re going to be doing exams and operative.