Aerospace Medicine Question: Beneficial to Get Private Pilot's License or Waste of Money

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScrubswithnoSleeves

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

So I am a pre-med interested in aerospace medicine (space med in particular) and would like to begin getting some experience. I'm currently applying to some EMT positions on AFBs but was wondering if it would be beneficial to go after my private pilot's license or if it would be a waste of money.

I am planning on pursuing a civilian fellowship program after graduating from medical school. If anyone has experience and thinks that is the wrong way to go, please let me know as well.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like fun, and would definitely be a cool hobby to talk about, but I don't think it would "add" much in the typical sense. However, I maintain you shouldn't let being pre-med keep you from doing what makes you happy, just hit the requirements and otherwise you can be a real person. Getting my pilots license is definitely on my bucket list as well, and if you have the time (and $$) for it, do it!

For aerospace medicine, consider going the military route and pursuing flight surgeon qualification. A few recent NASA astronauts have been USUHS graudates.