Is it too late to go to med school - 24 y/o working in investment banking/private-equity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asaplee1999

Reaction score
Hey all - hope you are doing well. Wanted to get some advice from the general thread. Is it too late for me to consider doing a post-bac and applying to medical school. For some context, graduated from Harvard/Stanford in 2021, with a 3.8 GPA in applied math/economics. I went into college pre-med and did a bit of health policy research before being foolishly enticed by what I thought to be a more lucrative and at the time "fulfilling" career path - finance. I spent around 1.5 years working in investment banking/private-equity out of graduation, with some overlap in healthcare investments/companies. I am starting a new job soon working on investing in senior living and healthcare infrastructure assets but have definitely had some deeply personal experiences in the last two years that have made me reconsider my passion. My close family member had some heart issues and I resigned from my prior job to care-give for him for about a year. In that same time, being unemployed and seeing my loved one struggle led me down a dark path, struggling with addiction, body image issues and more. With the help of therapy and honestly some great experiences with my primary care doctor, I am back on my feet and re-entering the workforce (if everything works out, will be the above mentioned role as an associate at an investment fund focusing on senior housing and healthcare infrastructure). If let's say I do this for a year or two, do some volunteering, would it be too late to try and do a post-bac and get back into medical school? I took basic chemistry and physics classes in college.

Thanks so much - appreciate the help.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Hey there! Glad to hear you're doing better and finding your path forward. It is definitely not too late to go to medical school.

Your story reminds me a lot of myself. I struggled with mental health issue after college and ended up leaving the pre-med path to pursue another career. However, I figure out my mental health and will be starting medical school this upcoming fall as a 28yo. I seriously could not be happier and cannot wait to start. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I am back on my feet and re-entering the workforce (if everything works out, will be the above mentioned role). If let's say I do this for a year or two, do some volunteering, would it be too late to try and do a post-bac and get back into medical school? I took basic chemistry and physics classes in college.
Glad that things are better for you now! It's definitely not too late to pursue medical school if that's what you decide on in a couple years. Additional information re: post-bacs can be found at: Postbaccalaureate Programs. Just my thoughts and best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
5 gap years. Didn't start med school till I was 28. So no, it's not too late. Just make sure you know what you're getting into. You'd have to spend 2-3 years just getting yourself ready to apply. I was a business major so I had to take all the sciences. Also did some volunteering, worked as a scribe, tiny research, etc. Then study for the MCAT. I'm not exactly smart so it took me a few tries. Then apply... which is a grueling intense year in itself so don't apply till you're ready cause it's something you don't want to do twice.

All this time, I had very little income so had to move back home. Luckily parents were cool so it wasn't too bad.

So yes, doable and age isn't a problem. But definitely not an easy road nor a guaranteed road.

Reactions: 5 users
You're 24 dude. The only thing you're too late for is being a teen parent. I'm gonna be 30-31 at matriculation after a decade in software engineering.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Hey all - hope you are doing well. Wanted to get some advice from the general thread. Is it too late for me to consider doing a post-bac and applying to medical school. For some context, graduated from Harvard/Stanford in 2021, with a 3.8 GPA in applied math/economics. I went into college pre-med and did a bit of health policy research before being foolishly enticed by what I thought to be a more lucrative and at the time "fulfilling" career path - finance. I spent around 1.5 years working in investment banking/private-equity out of graduation, with some overlap in healthcare investments/companies. I am starting a new job soon working on investing in senior living and healthcare infrastructure assets but have definitely had some deeply personal experiences in the last two years that have made me reconsider my passion. My close family member had some heart issues and I resigned from my prior job to care-give for him for about a year. In that same time, being unemployed and seeing my loved one struggle led me down a dark path, struggling with addiction, body image issues and more. With the help of therapy and honestly some great experiences with my primary care doctor, I am back on my feet and re-entering the workforce (if everything works out, will be the above mentioned role as an associate at an investment fund focusing on senior housing and healthcare infrastructure). If let's say I do this for a year or two, do some volunteering, would it be too late to try and do a post-bac and get back into medical school? I took basic chemistry and physics classes in college.

Thanks so much - appreciate the help.
Glad to hear you're feeling and doing better. Your age, even in a few years, is not a barrier to acceptance. Get the courses, maintain your grades, earn a strong MCAT, and get the volunteer and clinical exposure that confirm this is he right path for you, and your age won't matter.

My friend has a sign on her wall "Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." May not always be true, but in your case, it is.

It's never too late.

However, I have noticed that the older you get, the less you want to deal with being the lowest on the totem pole and local punching bag.

4 years of medical school, and residency, is much of that.

When you start medical school, you will have a cohort of similarly aged people along side you. You will certainly not be the oldest person in your class. Life is a long term venture. When you are old and gray, you may find that the gap years you took were exactly what you needed to mature before embarking in a lenthy and rewarding medical career.

Reactions: 3 users
Be mindful that having an addiction and the ability to prescribe is a dangerous combination. While it sounds like you have won the first battle against your addiction, it will be a never ending struggle.

Many state medical boards will ask questions about substance addiction during your application and for each renewal period. I think you are also required to disclose if you ever enter a treatment facility. While there are many impaired physicians who practice, it can get you into a load of trouble if you abuse your privileges as a doctor.