AF HPSP Student needing year off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whowantstoknow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I agree you're probably stuck-after all, you'd throw off all the good AF numbers if they had to put you in another graduating year. Think of the paperwork.........

All I can say is to try if it's that important to you. If you get a "no", keep politely climbing up the chain--never take a no answer from the first person you talk to in the military. You may even try a congressional complaint to see if that works. Just remember that they may remember you when it comes time for the residency match-the military generally doesn't like people who make waves.

Also, if you need this year off due to stress/burnout or something similar, then let them know. All I have to say is if you need time off now for something like that you may need to re-look at being a doctor. It isn't going to get any better as a resident or even a young attending though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree you're probably stuck-after all, you'd throw off all the good AF numbers if they had to put you in another graduating year. Think of the paperwork.........

All I can say is to try if it's that important to you. If you get a "no", keep politely climbing up the chain--never take a no answer from the first person you talk to in the military. You may even try a congressional complaint to see if that works. Just remember that they may remember you when it comes time for the residency match-the military generally doesn't like people who make waves.

Also, if you need this year off due to stress/burnout or something similar, then let them know. All I have to say is if you need time off now for something like that you may need to re-look at being a doctor. It isn't going to get any better as a resident or even a young attending though.

I agree too. Don't want to sound too harsh, but you should have known what the contract entailed when you signed up for HPSP, and even more importantly, you should have realized what kind of profession you are getting into. I do hope that you have a serious reason to take some time off, but if you are just tired/burnt out, it's going to get you into serious trouble. I don't know about your school, but my school is very helpful and supportive of students till they graduate. Have you found any sort of support/counseling at your school or you classmates?

I doubt they'd really force you onto active duty-they are trying to cut the force by tens of thousands right now. I'm sure that they will threaten you with active duty if you drop out of the program, but I think it's an empty threat.

It's a guess, but I'd say after only two years of paying, they would probably just take the repayment in the end.

No. If I'm reading the OP correctly they are not looking to quit medical school but take a year off to do research or something. I would think the HPSP would seriously frown upon this and just say "no". However there are HPSP who fail a course and have to redo the course over and lose a year. They don't lose HPSP. Not suggesting that you fail a course. My suggestion is to remember that in the military it is always better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.

When presented with "you can't do that!". Your response should be "I'm sorry I didn't know....". Use it wisely. There are obvious situations where ignorance does not excuse from jail time. :cool:

I doubt they'd really force you onto active duty-they are trying to cut the force by tens of thousands right now. I'm sure that they will threaten you with active duty if you drop out of the program, but I think it's an empty threat.

It's a guess, but I'd say after only two years of paying, they would probably just take the repayment in the end.

actually i AM needing time off because of burnout, but it's not at all something that concerns me for the future. my burnout is due to two straight years of rote memorization, i feel completely brain dead. although i know more now than i did when i started, i don't remember the last time i actually engaged myself in critical thought. i am not worried about burnout in 3rd/4th year or residency because my clinical time is the only thing keeping me motivated. i also had a phenomenal experience over the summer with a surgical team working 70 hr wks and i have never felt more passionate about medicine. i want to take time off before 3rd yr because i am excited about beginning my clinical years and i don't want to go into them bitter and burnt out (we literally have 1 wk summer vacation before clerkships start).

this is not the question, however. my question is, if i discontinue my medical education (without permission), will i more likely a) just lose my scholarship and be forced to pay up or b) also be sent into active service as an officer?

ed. i also had a phenomenal experience over the summer with a surgical team working 70 hr wks and i have never felt more passionate about medicine. i

imagine having to do surgery for only 70 hrs per week

Everyone gets burned out after the first two years of med school - just look at all the posts saying, "I'm in but I'm not cut out for med school" threads, so you're not alone. And, heh heh, you definitely get burn out fourth year, but it's so cush no one really notices. Just grind through the last part of second year and you'll be fine - once you hit clinical things you learn actually start applying to medicine.

But as an aside, if you have to retake a year for academic reasons, what they do is put you on leave of absence, where you basically pay your own way for a year - no military pay. Then you let them know you're starting back up and your benefits pick up again. But no they absolutely won't let you off for research or sanity leave.