Affected by COVID-19, Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brown_skin_girl

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone, hope you and your family are staying safe and well. A family member recently passed from COVID-19, and another close family friend has COVID-19. I also live with immunocompromised parents. I met with my physics professor to discuss possible accommodations for classwork (we just had an exam, and it did not go as well as I hoped), and the professor essentially said that it sucks that more African Americans are dying from COVID-19 (I am a black woman). I can't estimate how I will perform on the rest of the assessments, but does anyone have any advice for moving forward both emotionally and academically?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, everyone, hope you and your family are staying safe and well. A family member recently passed from COVID-19, and another close family friend has COVID-19. I also live with immunocompromised parents. I met with my physics professor to discuss possible accommodations for classwork (we just had an exam, and it did not go as well as I hoped), and the professor essentially said that it sucks that more African Americans are dying from COVID-19 (I am a black woman). I can't estimate how I will perform on the rest of the assessments, but does anyone have any advice for moving forward both emotionally and academically?
You could try to speak with the dean of the department/someone higher up and probably a therapist. You're brave for asking for help in these tough times. You can always text 741741 to speak with a crisis counselor as well who may be able to put you in touch with resources in your area.

Reactions: 4 users
You could try to speak with the dean of the department/someone higher up and probably a therapist. You're brave for asking for help in these tough times. You can always text 741741 to speak with a crisis counselor as well who may be able to put you in touch with resources in your area.

Thank you so much for your advice. I believe that I still have access to my university's counseling services, and I will be giving them a call tomorrow.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding the academic issue, you can also contact the department chair or the department vice-chair for undergraduate teaching or the course coordinator.

Reactions: 1 user