affirmative action thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by SMW
Yep, it sure is (In case this was a real question ;) ).

It was actually a legit question, albeit in a bad thread to ask one.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by chips
hey, i just found out i got into Harvard EDP! do you guys think it'd be unethical if i apply to 30 schools now non-edp just for kicks (to see how many schools i can get into)?

by the way i have lots of free time and i'm loaded.

You know I could swear some jackass actually asked that kind of question before.

Originally posted by Explosivo
You know I could swear some jackass actually asked that kind of question before.

I remeber that also.

Hey Chips...eat ****!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, i just found out i got into Harvard EDP! do you guys think it'd be unethical if i apply to 30 schools now non-edp just for kicks (to see how many schools i can get into)?

by the way i have lots of free time and i'm loaded.

You should apply to them all. You'll be able to brag about this during your interviews. Plus, it's the only way you're going to beat me. I'm applying to 79 of them, 80 if you count my two applications to Stanford under different names. And 18 of them I don't even qualify for their residency requirements. I'm just planning on speaking in whatever accent that state has and hoping I can fool them. That reminds me, how would anyone describe a Colorado accent? Screw it....I'll just make some small talk about skiing and hope they buy it.

Ok guys I am facing an ethical dilema. I went to college straight out of HS and nearly failed out (3.98 GPA :( ) Now I have returned and have maintained a perfect GPA and made a 43 on the MCAT (low but I plan on retaking in april) . I guess my question is, do i really have to report my subpar grades from before? I mean how would they know if I didn't send them my previous grades. I have worked so hard and I just dont want to forfeit it all because I was stupid enough to only spend 40+ hours/week studying in the library when I was younger.

What should I do:confused: :confused: :confused:

Originally posted by Cerberus
Ok guys I am facing an ethical dilema. I went to college straight out of HS and nearly failed out (3.98 GPA :( ) Now I have returned and have maintained a perfect GPA and made a 43 on the MCAT (low but I plan on retaking in april) . I guess my question is, do i really have to report my subpar grades from before? I mean how would they know if I didn't send them my previous grades. I have worked so hard and I just dont want to forfeit it all because I was stupid enough to only spend 40+ hours/week studying in the library when I was younger.

those early grades will kill you. if you are white, you might get waitlisted at some lower tier schools. if you are asian, you'll be lucky to get into a podiatry schools. if you're a URM, you'll get a full scholarship, 35K stipend, a derm residency and tenure on the faculty guaranteed before you submit your secondary to most schools. hope that helps.

Originally posted by Cerberus

apply to all 80 schools especially carribean programs and finch.

Originally posted by dpark74
I remeber that also.

Hey Chips...eat ****!:)

no thanks i'm vegan. :p

SDN Moderators,

Can this thread please be moved to the Lounge?

Thanks!

By the way, can anyone give me directions from Istanbul to Mount Sinai in NYC. I just want to be sure that I don't get lost:p

Pre-meds:

I was recently promoted to the Chief Executive position at Citibank. Y'all need loans? Call 1-800-OWE-CASH today!

Originally posted by silvercholla
By the way, can anyone give me directions from Istanbul to Mount Sinai in NYC. I just want to be sure that I don't get lost:p

I have directions from Constantinople. Is that good enough?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Random Access
I have directions from Constantinople. Is that good enough?
Great!!!:eek: Now that song is stuck in my head:p

Originally posted by LoveDoc
SDN Moderators,

Thanks!

are you like the nerd that rats on everyone to the hall monitor..

begone troll.

Revenge of the NERDS

SDN Moderators,

Thanks!

au contraire!! this thread is a great reminder that we as pre-meds need not take ourselves so seriously.

Hey I have a question... should I call every single medical school incessantly until I get an answer from them? I mean I only call about 8 to 10 times a day and I don't think that that is enough. What do you guys think I should do?

Originally posted by Sweet Tea
au contraire!! this thread is a great reminder that we as pre-meds need not take ourselves so seriously.

agreed this entire thread has to do with almost every single question thats been asked in the pre-meds forum..

everything we ever really wanted to say to these ppl we can say now in this thread.. oh what fun!

Hey I have a question... should I call every single medical school incessantly until I get an answer from them? I mean I only call about 8 to 10 times a day and I don't think that that is enough. What do you guys think I should do?

Have your Mom call as well!! :D :laugh: :D

Originally posted by SMW
Have your Mom call as well!! :D :laugh: :D
I'll just get her to talk to Diane's Husband:p :rolleyes:

SDN Moderators,

Thanks!

tattletroll, tattletroll :mad:

does anyone know any good deals for flights on short notice? Not for the interview, but I want to personally hand deliver all my secondaries and fly my recommenders to the adcoms so they can lobby for me in person, i mean, you dont want to take chances in this process.

also, i'm having difficulty getting motivated to do my UPenn secondary. damn, they want my address, social security, its been 3 months since i got it and I still cant find the time to do it.
:p

I'll just get her to talk to Diane's Husband:p :rolleyes:

Maybe she could have Diane's husband call the schools and tell them he'll be sending in an extra LOR for you? ;)

Oh please... :rolleyes:

You call? That's so easy to do. You definitely lack the dedication to become a physician.

I am so dedicated I use carrier pigeons 10 times a day to deliver notes to the adcom written on ancient papyrus in Homeric Greek. Top that fool. You'll never get in.

Originally posted by Explosivo
Oh please... :rolleyes:

You call? That's so easy to do. You definitely lack the dedication to become a physician.

I am so dedicated I use carrier pigeons 10 times a day to deliver notes to the adcom written on ancient papyrus in Homeric Greek. Top that fool. You'll never get in.

OMG.. i just burst out laughing at work!

but is it ethical to use connections like that?

obviously not!! if you get into medical school without having a 3.99 gpa and 40 plus mcat, the only two things that have any remote bearing on whether you'll be an acceptable physician clearly, you have obviously gravely cheated the system and deserved to be stoned to death. As a matter of fact, there should be no interview, no mention of ECs, just piece of paper that has your name and scores on it. :mad: you are all shameless ******, and i detest your ~3.5 gpa ~30 mcat existences.

OMG, I am so through:( :( I just got my first Ochem test back and I made an A-!!!! How will I possibly explain this to the adcomms? Oh wait, nevermind they'll see my subpar grade and never even interview me:( :( GOD, ALLL IS LOST WHY WHY WHY WHHHHHHYYYYYY

Originally posted by DW
obviously!! if you get into medical school without having a 3.99 gpa and 40 plus mcat, the only two things that have any remote bearing on whether you'll be an acceptable physician clearly, you have obviously gravely cheated the system and deserved to be stoned to death. As a matter of fact, there should be no interview, no mention of ECs, just piece of paper that has your name and scores on it. :mad: you are all shameless ******, and i detest your ~3.5 gpa ~30 mcat existences.

<----- is a shameless *****.

I'm preparing right now for my interviews and I was wondering if anyone knows how many pounds per square inch to apply to the interviewer's hand. I was thinking of 1.5 pounds per square inch if the interviewer is male and 1.1 pounds per square inch if they're female, but now I'm thinking that 1.6 and 1.2 pounds per square inch is so much more money. Opinions?

DW, that is twice that you have flamed me in this thread. First by accusing me of post padding (I would never commit such a heinous crime!), and now by calling me a shameless *****. Now, I might very well be a shameless *****, but you obviously have some maturity issues and misplaced anger to deal with. Regardless of you 4.1 GPA and 46U MCAT, I don't think you'll be a very compassionate doctor and you should probably consider a specialty (ie, pathology) where you won't have to interact with your patients very much.

The funny thing is that someone was actually advised to call every week or two in order to show that they really wanted to go to the school... sheesh...

-RA

sweet tea, doctors aren't supposed to have personalities! just a high MCAT, high GPA, and the ability to use an antiquated typewriter to fill out forms in this age of Microsoft Word! The first thing any patient is going to ask you when you first meet them is "did you type your secondaries? Did you tape or glue your photo? Did you get at least a 12 in verbal?" I cant help it if fools like you and Cereberus aren't doctor material......

but anyways, back to my worries. So, its early october, and I only have 37 interviews!!! The only interview I've been on so far, Harvard, the admissions director said something cryptic like "you're a surefire lock for a full scholarship, and your acceptance letter, a mere formality, i'm dropping in the mailbox right now". What do you think he meant? Is it bad to only have interviews at only >25 percent of all the medical schools in this country so far? Should I add more schools to my AMCAS? I'm getting really concerned about this.......

Originally posted by wolferman
I'm preparing right now for my interviews and I was wondering if anyone knows how many pounds per square inch to apply to the interviewer's hand. I was thinking of 1.5 pounds per square inch if the interviewer is male and 1.1 pounds per square inch if they're female, but now I'm thinking that 1.6 and 1.2 pounds per square inch is so much more money. Opinions?

whaaaat! you are a fool if you think it's about the lbs/in^2! a few franklin bills changed hands during my Harvard EDP interview and sealed the deal. i got two words for you, wolferman: CASH MONEY.

whaaaat! you are a fool if you think it's about the lbs/in^2! a few franklin bills changed hands during my Harvard EDP interview and sealed the deal. i got two words for you, wolferman: CASH MONEY.

Don't forget the hoes! It's CASH MONEY, HOES. :)

Don't forget the hoes! It's CASH MONEY, HOES. :)

hey random, thanks for watching my back. i appreciate it.

on a side note: our interviewer had something funny growing on his face, like the F1 generation of a hairy-mole and a pimple. the kid who interviewed before me told me later that he tried to give the interviewer a diagnosis. was that a bad idea, you think?

our interviewer had something funny growing on his face, like the F1 generation of a hairy-mole and a pimple. the kid who interviewed before me told me later that he tried to give the interviewer a diagnosis. was that a bad idea, you think?

definitely a good idea. adcoms want to see that you're decisive and honest, and not going to wuss out in situations like this. i would have said "Whats that nasty @ss sh1t on your face, dude?!? Haven't you ever heard of Oxy 10 or Stridex?!?!?" and the conversation would have flowed from there.

Originally posted by DW
adcoms want to see that you're decisive and honest, and not going to wuss out in situations like this.

You want decisive? I would've just reached over and squeezed it for him.

Originally posted by wolferman
You want decisive? I would've just reached over and squeezed it for him.

lol, you almost made me PIMP.

PIMP = piss in my pants

don't want to hog the thread but:

quick question--what's the verdict on lighting up a joint before the interview to relax?

a. yay
b. nay
c. far out
d. share the spliff with us fellow prospectees, mofo

don't want to hog the thread but:

quick question--what's the verdict on lighting up a joint before the interview to relax?

a. yay
b. nay
c. far out
d. share the spliff with us fellow prospectees, mofo

Newbie, you are obviously inexperienced in the workings of SDN. I'll be nice and explain things to you this one time, but don't make me do it again. This question is a common one and has been discussed before. I sugest using the search function before ever asking another question. If you still can't find the answer, please post your question in the form of a poll so that we can all vote and discuss the results. Thank you.

DW, you had better write the thank you note to end all thank you notes if you have any hope of getting in to Harvard. I don't know what you did to botch that interview, but you have a lot of backtracking (a$$kissing) to do to make up for it. And I hate to say it, but it's awfully late in the application cycle for you to be getting interviews. Med schools have probably filled their classes by now and you'll just be interviewing for a spot on the waitlist.

I have a clothing question... I was thinking of foregoing underwear and just "Sharon Stone" it. What do you guys think???:confused:

Oh and how do I find out about which schools are T1, T2, T3... I want to make sure to wear the appropriate scent... And can someone pllleeeaassseee read my 204 page personal statement?? I would appreciate it. I'll post it right here. Thanks

I have a clothing question... I was thinking of foregoing underwear and just "Sharon Stone" it. What do you guys think???:confused:

Well, let's do a mock interview and I'll let you know what I think.

:)

This is definitely recommended. Not just at your interview, but all the time, everywhere. ;) I would have to make sure you're doing it right though...

This is definitely recommended. Not just at your interview, but all the time, everywhere. ;) I would have to make sure you're doing it right though...

Do you really think so... I mean if it could make a difference in my interview then I guess I should go for it right? Well I will start practice at work on Monday morning.

Newbie, you are obviously inexperienced in the workings of SDN. I'll be nice and explain things to you this one time, but don't make me do it again. This question is a common one and has been discussed before. I sugest using the search function before ever asking another question. If you still can't find the answer, please post your question in the form of a poll so that we can all vote and discuss the results. Thank you.

sorry miss sweet tea. :oops:

oh wait, i mean, "up yours! up his! up hers! i hate everyone on this caca thread! you all can eat caca-roaches for all i care!"

will the moderator please move this thread to the lounge? :laugh: