Affording school in the States

Started by hoofdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hoofdoc

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there, I am a canadian hoping to get into vet school in the US. I was wondering how other international students afford to go to school in the United States. I know Scholorships are usually the regular answer. As far as I know Canada won't give me loans to go to school in the US. Are there any other sources of income anyone has found? Thanks a lot.
 
prior to the crapfest that is the current US economy a lot of canadians were taking out private loans from CanHelp. Those loans used to be available for canadians studying anywhere abroad however have stopped being offered and I think now the only loans available to canadians studying in the USA, and only with a cosigner who is a US citizen or resident (which means that not many people will likely take this option, or even have it available to them).

I think I read somewhere that you guys can take out a line of credit from one (or more?) of your banks for pursuing a professional degree.. I think it's like a one-time shot of $100k+ and you need to pay interest on that amount while you are in school.

Dunno what other options are out there at the moment, but our canadian students over here are in a bit of a pinch since they are having trouble getting funding. Thankfully for current students, the school is contemplating deferring their payments for a little while at least.